How do you listen to your music?
Oct 14, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #17 of 40
When I listen to music I like to imagine I'm listening to headphones.

I only really listen to the music as if I were someone with headphones listening to the music. I don't get how imagining to be part of the audience changes anything.

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #18 of 40
I'm in the band, air "playing" the instruments
tongue_smile.gif
And drinking beer.....but sometimes i'm in the front row headbanging, either way i'm walking around which is why i haven't spent anything on the sit down PC desktop rig, only portable. I find it weird when people say they sit in their big comfy chair and just listen to music, i guess that's where the expensive "laid back" headphones kick in.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #19 of 40
I'm in the band, air "playing" the instruments
tongue_smile.gif
And drinking beer.....but sometimes i'm in the front row headbanging, either way i'm walking around which is why i haven't spent anything on the sit down PC desktop rig, only portable. I find it weird when people say they sit in their big comfy chair and just listen to music, i guess that's where the expensive "laid back" headphones kick in.

It makes working and browsing the net so much more enjoyable. Furthermore you're not limited to only listening to music; you can do something else at the same time as well.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #21 of 40
Yeah, I just let my mind drift and it sort of forms its own images based on what I'm hearing or what mood I'm in. I mean I don't do drugs or anything but the stuff I can see in my head when I listen is what I would assume an acid trip would be like for most people. Like Alice in Wonder Land meets Pink Floyd the wall (the artistic parts). I can just drift and one shape morphs to another, sometimes I even enter sort of another state of mind. Sort of like I'm out of it, drifting away in emotion as I listen. Is it like this for you?

yea. i enjoy just letting my imagination run wild when i listen to music especially in the dark with speakers or even my headphones. it just allows me to drift and forget about reality. like how some people has movies,games,beer or whatever to escape reality, i have music to do it for me.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #22 of 40

Quote:
I prefer the act of observation....besides, my current rig doesn't have nearly enough resolution to become one with the loli. Yet.

Wait a moment! Didn't you say you had an SR-007 Omega 2 setup already in other threads? If that's not enough resolution, then I don't know if anything will deliver short of the SR-009...

Anyway, on to my own listening preferences...

I suppose I want to be in the audience, in a sense...but mostly in that I've developed a taste for an airy, ambient, atmospheric presentation, which my relatively entry-level Stax Lambda setup excels at. It feels less in-my-head and more expansive at times, yet it's clear and effortless as they say. On the other hand, this seems to mean less bass impact, and while these cheap Panasonic RP-HTF600s I'm testing deliver there without horribly recessing the mids and highs, they obviously lack the ambience.

Now if only I could have both...but that probably isn't happening until I have wads of cash to spend on Stax flagship equipment, which won't happen for at least a few years.

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #23 of 40
I listen only when alone.   I hate distractions.  I get into my music mind space and it tends to allow me to experience my feeling and emotions that were inappropriate during the day. 

I also actually fall asleep during heavy metal so I play that first.  The I play more mellow music.  I also fall asleep during root canals!

I think of myself as a secret listener, hidden away.  Back row of a concert where I can choose to sit and relax for two hours.

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #24 of 40
depends where, and what.
If I'm out and about, (which I almost never do) it's the whole soundtrack to life thing, where the music and world appears from you, heading outwards, and changes with your actions.

If I'm inside, listening casually, it's usually just noise to work to, so I'm busy working or something, so I can't imagine too much.

But, I do most of my listening lying in bed, in the dark, with headphones.
At which point, I have 2 kinds of cd I listen to: live shows, thats when I imagine being in the crowd, middle of the pit/crowd. and on stage, in the band (as guitarist, since I play) or as vocalist if I'm singing.
and studio recordings, which I just close my eyes, forget my body, and go places, wherever they may be, I have to say, I really enjoy Scale the Summits album- Carving Desert Canyons for this purpose, as an instrumental act, the music is untainted for the imagination to go wild with, and the sounds and the song titles are very appropriate (Bloom, Sargasso Sea, The Great Plains, Dunes, Age Of The Tide, Glacial Planet, City in the Sky (My favourite), Giants.
Any music which evokes an image of flight for me, I really love :]
Or of Space, Mastodons Crack The Skye, is a great one too.

I also tend to imagine the music as a living thing, and the sound I hear as feelings and communications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back