How Do You Know?
Feb 20, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 13
i'd just ask here. there's no real way of telling if something's legit or not (or good or not) unless someone with experience or knowledge of the seller pipes up. do you have a link?

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 13
Here are my thoughts:

1. No volume - I don't like amps w/ no volume as I tend to use the line out of whatever source I'm using and need the amp to control the volume.

2. Parts cost for that amp are probably around $20 so base whatever you'd pay on that.

3. There are builders on here that'll build one to whatever specs you want. You might be better off just posting a "wanted to buy" thread in the for sale forum.

4. The battery is just loose in the case. To me this is a detail issue that I would hate, rattling things suck.

5. .1uf input caps - I tend to think that this value is low (so does Tangent ) and I honestly noticed a difference on my CMoy when I changed this value to .22uf.

6. While the small mint-tin cases are undeniably cool they aren't the most rugged enclosure. Personally I prefer something a little more rugged that can take a hit and not be done.

I think that's about all I can come up with.

Nate

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 13
I think you're asking how hard it is to build a cmoy - if that's the case, not hard. But bear in mind that it takes $50 (at an ABSOLUTE minimum) worth of tools to build one and probably 4x that much to do it right (IMHO).

If all you want is an amp have someone build you one. There are several very talented builders on this forum who'll build you a nice amp for a decent price and at least you've got someone to ask questons if anything goes wrong.

HTH,

Nate

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 13
A decent amp alternative to consider is the PocketAmp version2 by Gary - http://www.electricavenues.com . Quite nice and you get a volume control, which I find important also.
smily_headphones1.gif

60 US plus shipping. I have one and like it.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 13
ok maybe itll be better to buy from experienced person and see what was done so i can start making my own and sell them on the black market
cool.gif
. just kidding, but i will post a WTB thread after i purchase a pair of sony V6's. will the cmoy help the V6's? if not than i dont need to do a WTB.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by blitze
A decent amp alternative to consider is the PocketAmp version2 by Gary - http://www.electricavenues.com . Quite nice and you get a volume control, which I find important also.
smily_headphones1.gif

60 US plus shipping. I have one and like it.

I have a couple of these (older versions) the seller is a great guy and they are suprisingly powerful little amps, certainly ona par with cMoys.

Quote:

1. No volume - I don't like amps w/ no volume as I tend to use the line out of whatever source I'm using and need the amp to control the volume.

Have to agree with that one. I always use line out as I believe it is a purer signal than headphone (already amplified) out, I could be wrong though.

Quote:

2. Parts cost for that amp are probably around $20 so base whatever you'd pay on that.

Yes but the parts do not magically assemble themselves. The parts your plumber uses to fix your boiler may only cost $10 but you can guarantee it will cost you a lot more.

For anybody running that kind of small business a good heuristic for charging is parts cost x 3 at least. My understanding is that a CMoy takes between 2 and 4 hours to assemble, this time has to be costed. When I used to work contract I used to charge about $50 an hour...

Quote:

3. There are builders on here that'll build one to whatever specs you want. You might be better off just posting a "wanted to buy" thread in the for sale forum.

eyevancsu is a Headfi-er himself, you could always email him and discuss this...

4. The battery is just loose in the case. To me this is a detail issue that I would hate, rattling things suck.
10c worth of cotton wool ? or a small bit of foam

Quote:

6. While the small mint-tin cases are undeniably cool they aren't the most rugged enclosure. Personally I prefer something a little more rugged that can take a hit and not be done.

Fair point.

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Yes but the parts do not magically assemble themselves. The parts your plumber uses to fix your boiler may only cost $10 but you can guarantee it will cost you a lot more.

Trust me, I know
biggrin.gif
. I've built 8 amps (some of which I've sold) so far so I fully realize the time commitment necessary to put one of these together. What I was trying to point out is that I wouldn't pay $100 for a $20 amp (not that anyone around here charges that much). Last time I checked there was at least one guy/gal (?) on ebay who seemed to somehow command around $75 for a Cmoy which seems high to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
10c worth of cotton wool ? or a small bit of foam

100% correct again, but as a builder I take a great deal of pride in the amp that I charge someone money for so I'd put the cotton/foam/whatever in there.

And as always anything I post is just my opinion and shouldn't be taken as gospel or fact or even correct
wink.gif

Nate

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sony_man
when purchasing a cmoy off of Ebay, how do you know of its build quality and how it performs? can you trust buying something somebody else built at home?

To answer the original question, the seller is eyevancsu, who is a head-fier and has feedback here on the head-fi forum and ebay that you can look at. I bought a cmoy from him (with potentiometer) and was very happy with the amp. Send him an email at: ivan@eyevancsu.net identifying yourself as a head-fier, and ask him for a quote on a cmoy with your specs (perhaps with potentiometer and .22uf input caps). See what his quote is. A year later, the cmoy that Ivan built for me is still being used and enjoyed.

Feb 21, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
To answer the original question, the seller is eyevancsu, who is a head-fier and has feedback here on the head-fi forum and ebay that you can look at. I bought a cmoy from him (with potentiometer) and was very happy with the amp. Send him an email at: ivan@eyevancsu.net identifying yourself as a head-fier, and ask him for a quote on a cmoy with your specs (perhaps with potentiometer and .22uf input caps). See what his quote is. A year later, the cmoy that Ivan built for me is still being used and enjoyed.

Take him up on the advice, I've dealt with Ivan, great builder and head-fier. He'll be fair with pricing, and happily throw in the requested upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back