How do you know which amp to pick for your cans?
Oct 30, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #16 of 27
My first amp was a PA2V2, which I bought after reading about it on the forums here. Not terribly expensive, so I didn't mind taking a chance on an unknown.

However, I didn't buy my WA6 until after I had gone to 2 meets (one locally here in Toronto and this year's International Meet in San Jose). I had a budget, and tried to listen to as many amps in that range with my HD600s. The WA6 sounded the best to me (and it doesn't hurt that it looks real cool too).

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #17 of 27
thanks for the great response head-fi'ers! i guess picking an amp to match your cans, isn't a simple process. the problem with auditioning amps for me is that there aren't many meets here in singapore. so that option is ruled out. but i can always meet fellow singaporean head-fi'ers and audition their gear. and there are fantastic stores here which provide great service and sell a pretty wide range of gear.

my my so many decisions to contend with. portable/transportable/stationary etc. i reckon that sometimes i don't think i even know what i'd want = (

once again thanks for all the replies peeps. time for me to sort through my priorities with regards to what i'd want in an amp, shortlist a few (as it is usally the case, a whole bunch of them) and audition them till i get the very same epihany i had when i listened to the beyer dt 150, that prompted me that this is THE one!

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ain't it the truth gtp!

How do you like the SE420's? I'm waiting on the Westone 3's but have been wondering how the new Shure SE series sounded, I'm assuming a little bassy on the Mini^3?

Off topic, but it seems the OP is happy with the thread, so I'll respond anyway:

I like the SE420 very, very much. They are the only IEMs that have pulled me away from my ER4P. They are like ER4P+warmth+bass, or like UM2+detail+speed. I prefer them to the E500. They are plenty bassy with my Mini^3 and scale well with bass boost. Search for my detailed thoughts I posted a few weeks ago.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #19 of 27
If your relationships with various headphones are comparable to your relationships with your acquaintances, friends, family and enemies, and also a reflection of you, then your relationship with an amp is more like a romance. You might start out chasing a girl who goes well with the rest of your crowd, but sometimes you find that the girl opens up previously unexplored worlds, so you travel down new paths, ditching worthless friends, sometimes abandoning good friends that your girl doesn't like.

A relationship with an amp is more subtle, often more complicated, and difficult to end after you've been together for a while. It can also be costlier. When you love her, you might buy your girl isolation accessories, exotic cables or a new rack, and you might very well try to spice things up with your baby darling by swapping in some vintage tubes or op-amps. Your failure to appreciate her comes up routinely, but when the relationship is built on respect, just dim the lights and cuddle to bring back the magic.

You know you're committed to her when you start saving for a nicer source, and she'll know it, too. If she's still the right one she'll repay you in spades, but if she's no good try your best to avoid having kids.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... but if she's no good try your best to avoid having kids.

icon10.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off topic, but it seems the OP is happy with the thread, so I'll respond anyway:

I like the SE420 very, very much. They are the only IEMs that have pulled me away from my ER4P. They are like ER4P+warmth+bass, or like UM2+detail+speed. I prefer them to the E500. They are plenty bassy with my Mini^3 and scale well with bass boost. Search for my detailed thoughts I posted a few weeks ago.

THX gtp, I have even read some prefer the sound of the SE420 to the 500's but then some here have just the opposite thoughts. I'm sure both are good phones 4 sure/Shure:-0

I'm considering picking up a Mini^3 to go with my bass heavy Super-Fi EB's for when I just want to vibrate my cochlea's
basshead.gif

I have my trusty Toma & UM-2's for rich so I'm looking for a throb unit (within reason as ear damage does start at 88db continuous). With so many new playthings coming out I'm trying to do some really different setups for grab and go. I'll dig up your older post and peruse
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #22 of 27
There have been some good suggestions regarding how to choose an amp.

This is what I do:

1) Research because I don't have the cash to buy everything to try, nor do shoppes close to me have a large selection to audition.

1 a) What to research? Well, first and foremost, figure out what the entire chain is all about, what power output the player has, what power requirements the headphones have and then go from there. I will disregard all those amps that don't meet a basic requirement even if it might sound good because at some point, the sound should/would suffer if power demands become too high (or current demands, voltage whatever).

1 b) Sonic signature. I read a ton of reviews and I focus on key words that are used to describe music in the same way I like to hear music. I focus in on those amps that seem to exhibit such traits in conjunction with the phones I'm going to use with it. I try to read as much as possible to get a concensus.

1 c) Who wrote what. Next, I start scouring the site for posts or threads from a particular person who might have condemned an amp or given one a glowing review. I look for consistant pessimism, criticsm, hyperbole, infatuation and fanboyism. I then examine the profiles, associated gear and listening tastes. Once I glean as much as I can I feel safer in pulling the trigger.

2) Head to meets if possible. Listen and get an initial feel for the sound. Though it might not be your entire system, if you have your own headphones or the type you want/own then at least you can get an idea of the sound. Meets are generally not the best place for critical listening but there is no doubt that one could at least figure out if they detested something.

3) Buy and try. This is really where the meat of the process comes in. In the end, no one's opinion matters except for yours and yours alone (unless you will be sharing your kit with a friend/significant other). Listen listen listen! If the amp turns out to do what you want it to do keep it! If not, sell and retry. But! Don't hope that an amp will magically transform a system into something divine, in my opinion the two major components in a chain are the source and the transducers. They will make the biggest most dramatic sound changes. That said, if you do like something, even if most don't, don't be a lemming and sell because it is not the "in" amp of the week/month/year. Enjoy what you have, be happy and listen to more music!

4) Before selling, (particularly if one is jonesing to spend some cash on a new amp even though the present system sounds perfectly fine) reread past reviews, even if the reviews are a decade old. Read and reread, fall in love with your gear again. This might curb any feelings of "gotta have something new."

If there is one thing I have learned from "older audiophiles" guys who have been in the hobby for decades, it is that the upgrade path is often not really a ladder journey but more of a plateau jumping journey. There are plenty more sidesteps (and very often steps backwards) vs. really moving up the rungs of a ladder. Once one attains an excellent synergy, plugging in a new amp, even if the old one was $500 and the new one is $25000, it might not jive as well as the old one. There is a LOT to say about system synergy. It is in the end, the most important aspect. The best pieces in the world won't necessary combine to make the best system in the world.

Oct 30, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #23 of 27
Gospel truth here!

"The best pieces in the world won't necessary combine to make the best system in the world.":wink:

Very good advice Zanth:)

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #24 of 27
Wow guys, now this is why head-fi is such an excellent forum. Ask the right questions and you shall receive answers, which many a time are richlly insightful, detailed and somewhat humorous as well.

in response to zanth's post - system synergy is a term that has always eluded me, not that i've been in this for very long. i'm not too sure how to shortlist equipment that would synergise with my current gear. i guess it can only be determined at the buy and try level of things.

however i have a question with regards to system synergy - is it a complementary affair or more an issue of having matching similar sounding products? - pretty much my initial question actually.

for eg. does warm cans and a warm amp = system synergy or is it more like warm cans and bright amp = system synergy

or is it much more than just matching sonic characteristics to achieve system synergy?

reading reviews so far has been informative journey for me, however i find it hard to de-conflict the somewhat disparate views that reviewers maintain with regards to a certian piece of equipment. then again, at the end of the day it all pretty much boils down to one's taste/preferences and other variable factors such as associated equipment, surroundings etc.

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #25 of 27
system synergy as I understand it has always meant how the entire system works to create a sound. So each component works in some form to make the end user happy. An amp might be thin or on the bright side but paired with a laid back player or honey thick cans...everything might jive in the end. System synergy is most definitely left up to you the listener. What may be magic for me, may well be death to your temporal lobe
biggrin.gif

That said, some aspects of system synergy are objective, like the proper current or power to drive the phones etc. This is why for some folks...older tube amps were never good for low impedance headphones (say under 150 ohms) because their output impedance was so high. Solid state amps were better mated for them, until some different designs hit the market. There are some phones that really require high current output or gobs of power (like the K1000s or the HP1000s).

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #26 of 27
I totally overlooked the fact that other elements of my system play a part in synergy as well. A bad case of myopia really.

I see a possible challenge arising here though. My two sources aren't what you would call top notch quality. I listen almost exclusively to AAC tracks via iTunes at 320kps. The gear: an 80GB iPod Classic and an iMac G5.

Furthermore, with the iMac G5, I'm connecting my interconnect to my amp through the headphone out (the iMac doesn't feature a line out, however it does have an optical out). Hence I'm not feeding my amp with true line level stuff.

Any solutions to optimise my setup and thereby creating synergy?

Gosh it's a bigger can of worms now = )

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #27 of 27
Although I have a pretty nice home rig, I actually listen (these days anyway) 99% of my time with an iPod, either my 2G Nano or an iPhoto. Here, you won't need to worry so much about the player, iPods are actually quite good. They may not be the absolute best thing out there but they are no slouch either. Many a highend mag has attributed high praise to them because they are quite a neutral player and apparently compete quite well against CD players in the 1000k-1500k area.

For you then, you would have to decide what you are after. Are you mainly listening at home? At school? At work? On the go? do you need something truly portable? Merely transportable? Do you feel the sound from your iPod is good but the iMac isn't as great? What headphones are you using? Sticking with the DT 150s?

There are quite a few nice setups on the market or just hitting the market in the portable end of things which include a DAC. The great thing is that you hook your iPod up to it and you get a better more powerful amp to drive your Beyers. However, when at your iMac, you plug the unit into a USB slot and you now have an awesome sound (that bests the iMacs soundcard apparently) and a great amp all to your Beyers.

Headroom has their Microstack, Headamp is releasing the Pico, Ray Samuels is releasing the Predator and there are a few other companies that already have something out there as well.

If I were in your shoes, I would likely target a dac/amp combo if money provides. I don't know much about the Microstack but there is a recent thread about the Pico and Predator at the Florida meet. Many are claiming the Predator has a lot of "wow" factor, a big in your face sound. The Pico is more reserved, subtle, with more finesse and more linear/neutral. The Pico dac and Predator dac chips differ as do the amp circuits, output power, current etc, so you would have to do your research as to what would work best with your cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back