How do you know if its a web based e-mail?
Jan 7, 2005 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BowerR64

1000+ Head-Fier
I found a deal on the net and its almost to good to be true. Im not sure how you tell a web based e-mail from one that has IP tracking. Incase i get ripped off i atleast want to post the guys IP so he dont rip anyone else. Is there any kind of web based e-mail hunt or somthing?

Jan 7, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 5
You say you found it on the internet, then mention email. Do you mean you found a website that has a contact address, or this deal was emailed to you? If it was emailed, you can pretty much ignore it. 99.9% of marketing in email is crap/fraud. If it was on a website, however...

What's the domain of the email? (i.e. @companyx.com) If it's Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, Lycos, etc., it's webmail. Seems fairly obvious to me. Another thing you should do is run a WHOIS on the site. That should (with any luck) give you the owner's name, address, phone number; the works. You may just get a name, or nothing at all, however. Also, bear in mind it's possible he/she gave a fake name. Still, better than nothing.

Finally, common sense. Best tool of all. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Jan 7, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 5
It was on a website in a classified section, i e-mailed the guy and when he returned my e-mail his address whent right to the junkmail section. The e-mail addres ends with a wmconnect.com.

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Unfortunately, this domain is registered through Network Solutions, the worst registrar (as far as WHOIS is concerned).
They do not support WHOIS lookups from ad-free sites like ours (because of the volume of hits from us), and try to force
users of our site to use their ad-laden site.

Did a WHOIS on it from www.dnsstuff.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back