How do you identify ipod versions?
Dec 13, 2005 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mail4u

100+ Head-Fier
Is there any way when you buy an ipod to know what version or generation you're buying? How do you tell the difference between a 3rd generation and a 4th generation? In other words, I need help determining the ipod hierarchy. I'm assuming that the newest model has the best sound and wonder if this is true. I've read somewhere the lowly ishuffle is the best sounding with a very high output. I'm interested in quality of sound rather than features or maybe an ipod is an ipod no matter which one you get as far as sound quality goes.

Thanks for any help with these elementary questions.

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 8
They all look very different.

In your case, a 3rd gen iPod will have tough sensitive buttons above the scroll wheel. The 4th gen will have only the wheel and no buttons (click wheel)

They do sound different IMO. I moved from a 4th gen to a 5th and I like thwe sound much better.

Hope this helps
-John

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 8
the 3G will have all the menu buttons across the top horizontally, separate from the wheel. all other versions have the menu buttons on the wheel, either as a touchwheel in 1-2G, or scrollwheel in 4-5G.

yes, the shuffle kicks butt in the SQ dept, but the 5G is darn good too, and the best of the big iPods. the shuffle will beat the mini ipods in SQ (most everything north of 3G ipods will) but as for the nano vs. shuffle, i'm not certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back