How do you guys live with the pressure?
Apr 15, 2008 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

logiatype

100+ Head-Fier
I've tried a couple IEM's now and it seems I'm lucky with the fits. But the pressure and that weird feeling of something deep in my ear is totally unnerving. Any way to improve comfort?

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 21
You might have it too in, maybe try a larger tip. If not, then I guess IEMs are just not for you. I admit it does take a little time to get used to it, but once it becomes normal, then all you have left is audio bliss...assuming your earphone can deliver.

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 21
It definitely took me a little time to get used to my etymotics (started with Er-6i and then head-fi made my wallet want to get a little sorrier with the ER4p!) But now, I really don't even feel them in there anymore.

But FYI, it also took a good couple of weeks to learn exactly how and where to place them in there. And I still fiddle with them a fair amount to get them in there "just so." So as Meloncoly says, it could be that they're not in the right spot.

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 21
Whatever IEMs you have, they MUST be better than the old Koss Plugs. I got used to them, but trust me, it took a while.

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 21
I only get pressure when I use rubber tips to push them into my canals, after I create an air tight seal. If the tips are small enough, I've been able to neutralize the pressure difference by gently pulling down my ear lobe, with the IEM in place.

Using foam tips will eliminate the pressure problem too. Compress it, place it in your ear, then wait for it to reexpand to create an air tight seal would leave you no pressure problems.

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 21
I found that there was an uncomfortable amount of pressure when using silicone tips, but not so when I use foam tips. The silicone tips made a vacuum-like seal in my ear that was quite uncomfortable, especially when both ears had different degrees of vacuum-sealedness. Foam tips are as comfy as can be for me, I wouldn't change a thing about 'em.

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 21
I also concur with using foams. It forms a better seal when you move around or opening your mouth. It's also more comfortable. Foams are more of a hassle to insert and need to be replaced after a while however.

Apr 15, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 21
I never really got IEMs to work with my ear, and soon I just gave up on them.. they're always tangling, falling out, etcetera... although once I get them in, I forget they're on, and don't feel them, but either way, I didn't think they were worth the trouble.

Apr 15, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love triple flanged tips. I can't feel them at all.

You're lucky. I think they sound a lot better than any of the other tips, Shure olives included, but I can't wear them without pain. =/

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 21
I had the Ety ER-6i. Pretty uncomfortable IEMs. The only way I could comfortbably wear them was with the foamies. I now have the Shure SE530. Totally different and way comfortable...as in all day comfortable. Haven't tried other Shures, but worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back