how do you go about making the standared cmoy amp smaller
Jan 31, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmoyamphelp
okay how would you go about making the standared cmoy amp smaller in foot print ???

Design your own surface mount only Cmoy or mint.

That could be made very very small

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 11
How about BrownDog's $5.95 ProtoBlock Amplifier Circuit? You'd need two, and you'd still need a power supply, but it looks like a fun board, get them without pins and stack them over your supply in MINT fashion (A MINT board is of course the obvious answer here):

970501.jpg

I'd love to see vertical variations on this that included a buffer, and could be made into a ground channel depending on what parts you added, that plugged into a horizontal board providing holes for three of these, and all I/O and the power supply. Then getting something like a PIMETA in a Hammond C8 becomes feasible.

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 11
You can trim a few rows off the board by replacing the power supply with a TLE2426 and an axial-leaded cap, and if you're using the standard Radio Shack board there's that unused space at the top near the standoff holes that you can trim if you're careful.

Jan 31, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

if i was told who the maker was i might order it from my local electronics store

If I had to guess, I'd say Datak. That's the brand of stuff my local electronics shop carries. It's right up there with NTE in terms of being a generic name resold through small shops.

Jan 31, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 11
You can replace the OP-amp with a surface mount (ofcourse without adapter and socket). Don't use any input caps at all (requires that you check your source for DC output). Replace power supply caps with small value tantalum caps. Replace the 2 power supply resistors with a 3 pin TLE2426CLE.
Place components on both sides of board or skip board compleately and use point to point wiering in a 3-dimentional blob that you epoxy-glue once done.
You could also replace all resistors and caps with surface mount components.

You could cheat even more and use the TDA7050 in bridge mode giving you mono output only (connected left and right channel together). Just connect 3 button litium cells in series as supply and skip all components except the TDA7050 (preferably the surface mounted version). I don't think you can go any smaller than this, but its not a CMoy anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back