How do You Feel in Your Heart? Irish, Chinese, Italian, German, French, Russian, ...?
Feb 20, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #62 of 77
100% Filipino living in the U.S.
cool.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #63 of 77
Oops! I missed the "American" option. Actually, I have been getting in touch with my "inner Swede" for several years now. I'm 1/8 Swedish on my mother's side. My daughter sees herself as Irish, go figure...

Laz

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #64 of 77
I realised I was mostly Dutch when I found the Dutch national sweets "dropjes" right here in Singapore. If you don't like them you're not Dutch, if you do like them there must be some Dutch blood in you
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #66 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by _M2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
more like canto-dian.
also as a side note: I rarely seem to see any Brown (Hindu,sheikh) people in head-fi forums, let alone any forums at all.
usually theres like 60% asians and 40% white/black

It does not look this way so far:

Chinese: 9.3%
Indian (East): 2.45%
Philippino: 1.47%
Asian: 4.41

The total is less than 18%.
So we are short of about: 60% - 18% = 42% voters who feel and/or are Asian.

If we even counted 'None of the Above' (12.5%) as "UNdecided" voters of Asian origin we would still have about:
18% + 12% =30% of Asian origin.
Of course we cannot count 'None of the Above' as voters of ONLY Asian origin.
This is just an illustration and speculation.

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #68 of 77
My ancestral background is too complicated to feel one way or another. While I do take pride in my Irish heritage, I got so many other blood lines mixed in that I can't really feel Irish.

I guess I just feel American.
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #70 of 77
Most things about me would lead to people thinking I'm Scottish. Particularly my accent. However, I consider myself British is the fullest possible unionist sense. Bundling those other options of Scotland England Wales with Britain would bring a raised eyebrow from a great many people in her majesty's most imperial United Kingdom. The Irish option being separate causes a doubling of this problem of personal identification and distinction for those people from Northern Ireland.

Basically. You would need a whole sub-thread for a discussion on British identity. However it would be difficult to ensure it didn't become too political.

There also seems to be some confusion from some people regarding the nature of the Jewish identity. To my understanding, Judaism is a religion, and Jewish is a race. Israeli being the nationality. One can be a mixture of any of the three of these.

For example you could be a Jewish Jew from Israel; a Christian Jew from Israel; a Christian Jew from Britain; a Jewish Aborigine from Australia or any other permutations you might be able to think of therein. To equate Israel, Judaism and Jewishness as the same thing is therefore inaccurate indeed. And thats without getting into the complexities thrown up by Orthodoxy and Zionism for example.

In short, a grossly insufficient poll and question, which nevertheless has opened some very interesting discussion.

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It actually bothers me quite a bit when people ask "What are you"?

A Head-Fi freak!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back