How do You Feel in Your Heart? Irish, Chinese, Italian, German, French, Russian, ...?
Feb 19, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #16 of 77
I am and feel American.

My grandfather (on my fathers side), and great grandfather (on my mothers side) both came from other contries. I have the the greatest respect for my family heritage, and it is something that will never be lost to me.

When I hear the stories grandfather would tell about coming through Ellis Island when he was young, and the dreams he had of becoming an american, it is impossible to not feel a sense of pride. He loved bein Sicilian, and his family, but being an american was the biggest part of his life.

With all of that said, and knowing my roots, I have never felt an affiliation to another country outside of America. America is after all the land of opportunity.

Just my 2 cents.

-Jeff

Feb 19, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #18 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jewish. Yes, thats my ethnicity.

There are 0 votes for Jewish... you didn't vote Jewish after all?
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #20 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but jewish is a religion...
confused.gif

So? The question is "How do You Feel in Your Heart?" The answer could very well be Jewish
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #22 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are 0 votes for Jewish... you didn't vote Jewish after all?
tongue.gif

give it a second...replied before i polled....(distractions R us).
And really, i feel closer to judaism than any country. I mean, my fathers family came from germany, my mother's from austria and russia, we live in america...but I'm jewish.

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #24 of 77
Hehe, I was just messing with you guys
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm alrighty then

Quote:

And really, i feel closer to judaism than any country. I mean, my fathers family came from germany, my mother's from austria and russia, we live in america...but I'm jewish.

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #25 of 77
Quote:

I realize that this is broaching one of the taboo subjects in discussions with people (politics, religion, etc.) but I am compelled by your post to respond.

I understand your feelings toward your religion, and I personally have nothing against your beliefs or life choices. I only say this so that you understand that I mean no disrespect.

I have to ask, where are you from? Where were you born? Where were you raised? Your family came from different countries, as did most Americans. Your don't align your affiliation with either of those, but instead to your religious belief. You list your location as Boston, MA, in your profile. Assuming that the answer to the above questions was America, why would you not feel like you are an American? If you were born and/or raised in another country, why do you not feel that that is "what you are"?

I ask this not to criticize, but out of curiosity. I have met a number of people that have family from other parts of the world, but were born in the states. They hold true to the country of their parrents origin, and not to that of their own. I find this to be a bit strange myself. After all, why would you choose to live someplace that you don't feel strongly towards?

I grew up knowing America as a melting pot. A wide variety of peole from all walks of life, and all countries come here. Each person brings a bit of their own culture to add to the overall combination that emerges. I've always thought that, that was one of the great things about this country.

Again, I'm not asking this to instigate a flame war, or an argument, but to get a better understanding.

-Jeff

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #26 of 77
I'm disappointed you didn't finish your post with: "See you on the ethnic? side of the moon!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back