How do you feel about Cake?
Apr 28, 2005 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

crazyfrenchman27

Headphoneus Supremus
The "Virgin College Mega Tour" is rolling through my part of town and I was wondering how you guys felt about this band called Cake that's being featured.

I've heard a few of their songs, but do they sound good live? Will they be worth my time?

Thanks!

-Matt

Apr 28, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 32
Cake has a lot of die-hard supporters, i'm sure you'll see a flood of their posts in the next few days.

My opinion? meh, they're okay. It's over-rated and montonous (I can't get past their singer's voice), but fun rock music.

Apr 29, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 32
im somewhere in between meh... and great band. They're better than average but not by much.

Apr 29, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 32
i really like them. they're not the best band, but they are fun to listen to. nice bass-driven music, which i like at times. c'mon, anyone who can sing a whole song from the point of view of a dime deserves something
blink.gif

btw i own several of their albums...all of them, maybe

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 32
Fun band... not great though. I'm happy they're on the radio, but I've never bought one of their albums.

Apr 29, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 32
c'mon, anyone who can sing a whole song from the point of view of a dime deserves something
blink.gif

agreed

btw i own several of their albums...all of them, maybe[/QUOTE]

dido

- if you only listen to their radio stuff you're missing out

Apr 29, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #12 of 32
Pretty obvious stuff... The Distance, the I Will Survive cover, Never There etc. Actually I hear them on the radio a fair amount.

I don't know, for me this is quintessential house party music. I've probably listened to Fashion Nugget a million times... Just never really was motivated to search it out on my own.

Apr 29, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #13 of 32
A great band. One of my favorites. I have all their albums and they've all been played dozens of times. I don't like them quite as much since the band changed for the last two albums, but the sound is close and the writing still lots of fun. I think that describes cake best, they make fun music. Catchy, fun songs with a dry wit. Musically I also like they're departure from the 3 chord riff mainstream. There's really not many bands that sound like them -- a very good thing in my opinion.

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 32
I voted great band. Fashion Nugget is one of my all time favorites, but I do have to admit I'm only partially drawn to their latter works. Good works perhaps, but they can be repetitive. My one complaint is they seem to have found a formula that worked, and then tried to draw too much from it without actually sticking to it. They keep trying to make another Fashion Nugget, but it doesn't sound like are having AS much fun making the music.

That's just my take though. Either way, I still voted great band because despite their small pitfalls, they are well deserving of listening.

They are fun rock, good party music, good road trip music, good live music.

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #15 of 32
When I'm starving for bread, I eat it.

In fact, I like to have it and eat it too.

Also, "The Distance" is a great track, and the cover of "I will survive" was overhyped but cute.

Plus, I think someone on Head-fi is a friend of one of the band members, i forget who.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back