How do you determine whether a recording is "well-recorded?"
Apr 6, 2017 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Feilong4

Headphoneus Supremus
What are some examples of well-recorded songs/albums and some that aren't?

It would be great if I could get some non-classical/jazz examples. Nothing wrong with them, but I guess it seems too easy.

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 7
How to determine ? Listen I'd say 
tongue.gif
 I am not a professionnal and all I'll say is completely subjective.

Well recorded tracks are usually making good use of stereo and depth, with instruments coming from different locations, hairy sound, wide stage, immersive bass, energic sound.

You can notice on "bad" records that certain instruments have a sizzling, or that the white noise is excessive on their specific track. Instruments can also be not well separated and cover each other, or that an insuficient number of microphones were used (noticeable on classic).

hdtracks has a category "audiophile tracks to die for", I listened to a few and ideed they are to die for http://www.hdtracks.com/critics-album-picks/stereophile
Anything recorded by Chesky is amazing, but they do Jazz.

I have exemples on hard rock :
- yum recorded : "Radiohead - Creep" or "Foo Fighters - Everlong" - you can listen to each electric guitar and their ensemble is really moving, battery and voice are still present and detailled enough."Sublime - Same in the end" despite limited obvious use of stereo outside of the electric guitar the whole thing is super energic and you can picture the depth of the scene with the guitar/bass in front of you with the singer just behind with the battery keeping everyone on track.

- meh recorded : "Green day - Basket case" - limited use of stereo, everything is overlaping in the center, voice is covered, no big flaw - "Pixies - Trompe le monde" despite the use of a bit of stereo, the whole mix is monotonous and without energy, there is no or little bass, the battery is mixed with the guitars and the voice all coliding in the center.

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 7
Some bands and their producers seem to care more about the recording quality than others. In some cases this is to do with funding, length of studio time allowed, etc and in some cases it is genre specific. I started listening to music seriously in the early to mid seventies, at a time when big bands had big budgets and plenty of studio time. However, this didn't always mean that they had much better sound/recording techniques than bands who were just starting out.

Fleetwood Mac spent along time recording, with many overdubs and band members recording in isolation from each other and they produced Rumours a landmark album, around the same time the Eagles recorded Hotel California, an album which is often used in listening rooms to test hifi gear which I believe was also recorded in a similar manner. These are two fantastic albums, but as recordings do they have equal weighting, I am not sure on that one. Production values are so subjective, take Boston's first album, created by Tom Scholz and lovingly crafted to sound as good as he could get it to (within the constraints of his budget and home studio).

So my apologies for rambling, but I am not sure that this answer is more to do with the level of fatigue generated by repeated listening, with the least fatiguing being the best recorded!

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #6 of 7
Also Kristen Asbjornsen - Wayfaring Stranger

Nordic woman with a big voice singing gospel with high recording quality.

badly recorded - The congos "Heart  of the Congos" - Lee Scratch was too miserly to ever buy fresh tape for his studio, so arguably the worlds greatest reggae album sounds like it was recorded on a cassette.  I can appreciate that brand new tape would have been hard for him to afford, but he could have at least found a source of "slightly used" tape from american studio sources. Then the Black Ark stuff would not sound so mushy and hissy.

My definition of "well recorded" is that the recording fools your brain into thinking there is a real band and singers in the room with you - especially when you close your eyes.  Not only can you hear each instrument clearly, you can also pinpoint where in the room each instrument seems to be coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back