How do you deal with record hiss/noise
Apr 6, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #16 of 21
If you like the Stones, get yourself an SACD player. Maybe the best SACDs for rock/pop I have heard are the SACD Stones albums, and most of them are there.
It's worth the price of the player just to hear the Stones on it. Honorable mention: the Who. Tommy on SACD is OMG-great!

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #17 of 21
I have three Stones SACD's,  purchased back in 2002. They were not promoted as SACD's, and only when opened would the buyer become aware the discs were hybrid. Even then, you'd need to see the small SACD logo on the discs  to know that you had  SACD material. And, yes, they sound awesome. I like December's Children especially. Right now I'm listening to "As Tears Go By". My player is a Sony DVP-S9000ES feeding a Sony TA-P9000ES preamp  to Sony TA-N9000ES power amp to JBL L100t3's. "com' on darlin' let me hear ya say yeah"

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #18 of 21
Yep, the Stones were way more advanced than the Beatles at HiRez. Decent Beatles sound didn't come around until the 2009 box sets, and there is no prospect for HiRez discs at all. What a shame.
I think Apple wants to control music distribution from now on. Start out with Hot Rocks and you will be amazed-- no glare/shout/grain, lots of impact and detail, and just very natural, even on modest equipment.

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #19 of 21

Quote:

I would never have guessed Dachshund, the long hair threw Me off, what is He there count dachshula? He is a cute little guy, really nice that You adopted Him! No I did not get the chance to watch the video yet, hopefully tonight.  The picture is of Sidney an Australian Cattle dog, He lost His battle with cancer for 10 mos almost 3 and 1/2 yrs ago. He was 3 yrs 7 mo's old when We had to put Him to sleep. That was Mt Buddy!  How I miss Him. Sorry for the downer there, You know how attatched You become, there just like kid's to Us.

He's just Bosco.  He has always reminded me of "Farfel" the mascot dog for some chocolate drink for kids from back in the '50s.   He's my little buddy.  He follows me everywhere I go.  I understand your pain, missing Sidney, we've been through that a few times too.  When you're ready, find another buddy, the pain will eventually diminish.

Farfel;

Farfel - A friendly, floppy-eared hound dog puppet of wooden dummy Danny O'Day who was created and operated by ventriloquist, Jimmy Nelson.
farfel2_small.jpg

Talking with a sleepy drone, Farfel appeared in a series of Nestlés Quik chocolate commercials from 1953-65 .
After the little jingle of "N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestlés tastes the very best," Farfel in an extended yawn delivered the closing line "CH-A-A-A-W-CLIT."
The distinctive snapping shut of Farfel's jaws after saying "CH-A-A-AW-CLIT" initially happened by accident during rehearsals for the Nestle's commercials when Nelson's sweaty hands caused his finger to slip inside the puppet. Luckily, the folks at Nestles liked it and the rest is history.
The Farfel character was born during a late night show in Wichita, Kansas when someone left a little stuffed dog on his piano, Jimmy Nelson picked up the dog and began to ad-lib. Later, he contacted his figure maker Frank Marshall (creator of Danny O'Day) in Chicago to help create a wooden dog dummy.
The name "Farfel" (nicknamed by Nelson's piano player) is the name of a little matzoh noodle made from flour and water and used in Jewish cooking that was common in the Catskill Mountain resorts where Nelson performed his ventriloquism act.
puppets_farfel.jpg

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 21

Quote:

He's just Bosco.  He has always reminded me of "Farfel" the mascot dog for some chocolate drink for kids from back in the '50s.   He's my little buddy.  He follows me everywhere I go.  I understand your pain, missing Sidney, we've been through that a few times too.  When you're ready, find another buddy, the pain will eventually diminish.
Farfel;

Farfel - A friendly, floppy-eared hound dog puppet of wooden dummy Danny O'Day who was created and operated by ventriloquist, Jimmy Nelson.
farfel2_small.jpg

Talking with a sleepy drone, Farfel appeared in a series of Nestlés Quik chocolate commercials from 1953-65 .
After the little jingle of "N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestlés tastes the very best," Farfel in an extended yawn delivered the closing line "CH-A-A-A-W-CLIT."
The distinctive snapping shut of Farfel's jaws after saying "CH-A-A-AW-CLIT" initially happened by accident during rehearsals for the Nestle's commercials when Nelson's sweaty hands caused his finger to slip inside the puppet. Luckily, the folks at Nestles liked it and the rest is history.
The Farfel character was born during a late night show in Wichita, Kansas when someone left a little stuffed dog on his piano, Jimmy Nelson picked up the dog and began to ad-lib. Later, he contacted his figure maker Frank Marshall (creator of Danny O'Day) in Chicago to help create a wooden dog dummy.
The name "Farfel" (nicknamed by Nelson's piano player) is the name of a little matzoh noodle made from flour and water and used in Jewish cooking that was common in the Catskill Mountain resorts where Nelson performed his ventriloquism act.
puppets_farfel.jpg

Thank You Kevin, One day soon when were ready We will do just that! And Thank's for that tid bit on Farfel, that's pretty cool, I forgot all about that. Sincerely, Frank K.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
Yep, the Stones were way more advanced than the Beatles at HiRez. Decent Beatles sound didn't come around until the 2009 box sets, and there is no prospect for HiRez discs at all. What a shame.
I think Apple wants to control music distribution from now on. Start out with Hot Rocks and you will be amazed-- no glare/shout/grain, lots of impact and detail, and just very natural, even on modest equipment.

Well - in a sense, they simply bypassed discs.  The Beatles box set usb edition does contain 24 bit flacs, albeit still at a lowly 44.1khz sampling rate.  Still, increased dynamic range is better than nothing.

----

As to the hiss issue, my basic understanding is that it is often left in intentionally, even when many older recordings are remastered, because filtering out high frequencies impacts tone/timbre. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back