How do you deal with multiple gears?
Feb 8, 2017 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nachash

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've reached the point where I have too many hps/earbuds lying around and I don't feel comfortable with it... it's like I haven't full enjoyed every single one of them.

Are you in the same position as mine? Do you "force-cycle" through your gear on a weekly basis? Because I'm thinking of doing that now...

Any tips? Beside sell your unused stuff (I kinda get attached to all my hps, even the cheap ones)

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 8
Clicked on your profile expecting to have to scroll through your mammoth list... 
tongue.gif

I think you're probably doing alright with that many.

I would try ranking your headphones in some sort of order saving the top 2 in every tier (open-back, closed-back, IEM etc)
and put the ones that don't make the cut into storage for a couple of weeks (get a box, fill it, tape it up)
If you don't miss them, it's time to sell. 

Right now I'm in the process of moving house, so all but 4 of my headphones are boxed. Makes me realize which headphones I really don't care about as much and which ones I miss the most.

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 8
If you can afford it, keep them and enjoy them when the time is right.  No pressure.  You'll cycle through them organically as necessary.  I'm trying to hold myself to the resolution of no new headphones in 2017.  I do feel some guilt with the more expensive headphones that might not be getting head time.  I sell when I need to indulge in some other hobby.  

When I reach a certain point of accumulation I tend to purge everything and take a break from the hobby.  Always to eventually get sucked right back in, but getting a chance to try new things 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
  Hi, I've reached the point where I have too many hps/earbuds lying around and I don't feel comfortable with it... it's like I haven't full enjoyed every single one of them.

Are you in the same position as mine? Do you "force-cycle" through your gear on a weekly basis? Because I'm thinking of doing that now...

Any tips? Beside sell your unused stuff (I kinda get attached to all my hps, even the cheap ones)

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 8
This is an interesting topic and I feel right at home here :wink:

I typically use the latest and greatest I've got when it comes to IEM's and earbuds but I love bringing out "old" gems every once in a while and very often I'm surprised by how well it holds up to my newer stuff. That being said I've got way too many boxes with stuff lying unused, having four children helps getting some usage for it though.

When it comes to headphones it's a bit different as I've got many that I feel are great in one area or another so I tend to switch between them quite often and I'm sure that I use 5-10 pairs every month......

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 8
Sounds like you're looking for an all-rounder. I noticed the HD 650 on your wish list. That's one of the best all-rounders I've heard. I liked it with all types of music.

I have found that some headphones can excel at certain things but then be poor in other areas. When this happens, you may find yourself with a collection of headphones that you only use for specific purposes. This is fine as long as you're okay with it, but it's good to have an all-rounder around as well.

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 8
  Sounds like you're looking for an all-rounder. I noticed the HD 650 on your wish list. That's one of the best all-rounders I've heard. I liked it with all types of music.

I have found that some headphones can excel at certain things but then be poor in other areas. When this happens, you may find yourself with a collection of headphones that you only use for specific purposes. This is fine as long as you're okay with it, but it's good to have an all-rounder around as well.

That may be right, the DT150 is my favorite headphone and it's almost too neutral (but I love it because of that), while I use rarely the K701 because of the sound signature (pretty much with some live stuff and jazz)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back