How do YOU cut a square hole into AL?
Nov 9, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you wait for the harbor freight sales, you can get a mini mill for not much more than a drill press. Of course, it's going to be rather limited in x-y capacity, but works well for this kinda case work. I've had mine for almost a year now and love it. (Don't get the micro-mill... the mini mill is much more machine for the money.)

Is this what you mean - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices.

It looks like a drill press with table that can be micro adjusted. What do you put in it to cut a square hole.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #18 of 36
That's the one. To make a square hole, you just use the smallest end mill you have (1/4" dia works fine) and cut out a square with rounded corners. Then use a file to get the corner to a point if you really need a sharp point. With IEC's, you don't.

There is some learning curve with a milling machine, but it's not rocket science... especially if you don't need to be accurate to the 0.001".

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

How do YOU cut a square hole into AL?

I'd be willing to bet that AL would have a serious problem with cutting any shape hole in him.

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this what you mean - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices.

It looks like a drill press with table that can be micro adjusted. What do you put in it to cut a square hole.

You use an endmill. It is a tool specifically made for cutting along the edge. It looks similar to a drillbit, but the cutting edge goes 1-2 inches up the shaft.

^Also, please don't use a table saw. That is several accidents waiting to happen.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^Also, please don't use a table saw. That is several accidents waiting to happen.

BS!

I think I may just have a little bit of knowledge on the subject. I'm a contractor and a woodworker, and have been for 30+ years. Cutting a rectangular hole for an IEC with a table saw is actually safer than with a mill, and I've done it myself.

You simply set your fence appropriate to the cut you want to make, lay the piece face up on the table saw, with the table saw blade all the way down. Start to raise the blade slowly in the middle of the section you want to cut until it comes through the plate. You can move the plate forward or backward against the fence to get the exact cut needed, but cut the bulk of it by raising the blade. There will be some slight overcutting due to the roundness of the blade, but that will all be on the inside of the plate, and unseen with a cover on the case. You will need to make accurate measurements before cutting, but this method works flawlessly, and will give you absolute straight sides and perfectly sharp corners at 90 degrees to each other.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #23 of 36
Fair enough. I didn't dispute that it could be done, but thinking about doing that scares me. Actually the tablesaw in general scares me.

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is a hand nibbler a good choice? Would you purchase one to do the job because it is that much better than the other methods?

A nibbler is just what you want, its cheap and will do a good job.
As long as the material isnt thicker than 1/16 or so. I have used one many times modifying computer cases. Its a good forearm work out also !
You will probably want this type and *NOT* this kind

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough. I didn't dispute that it could be done, but thinking about doing that scares me. Actually the tablesaw in general scares me.

OK, point taken. If you haven't had that much experience on a table saw it can seem ominous, and that trepidation should probably be heeded. However it's really not that bad as long as you keep track of where your hands and fingers are at all times. With the fence in place, and with the method I've described it's quite safe and easy to do. Just be sure to wear eye protection when cutting aluminum, which ever way you decide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wap32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used a dremel with a milling tool with some success.

My second choice if a table saw isn't available. I used to mod computer cases this way back in the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve's a master at doing things you wouldn't think possible with a table saw.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ort...ml#post2949512

Thanks, I haven't seen that pic in a while. Cutting circles with a table saw is a bit more advanced, and a lesson for another day, but also safer than a lathe IMO. Although I love my lathe, it's not a beginner's tool IMO.

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can move the plate forward or backward against the fence...

I've done this with wood many times and am very comfortable around a table saw. I'm not sure I'd have the guts required to try this with aluminum. Here's why....

When cutting while feeding the material in the standard direction the blade cuts from the leading edge of the blade which is on the down stroke. this tends to hold the material down against the table. When cutting while feeding the material in the reverse direction, THE BLADE CUTS ON THE UP STROKE. This action tends to lift the material off of the table. Lift it enough and it will bind and be thrown out the front of the saw - really bad if you are cutting a sharp piece of (hard) metal as it will typically be thrown out the front of the saw and back at you. If you listen while cutting in the reverse direction you can hear the blade chatter as it lifts the material as each tooth hits the material. It is a distinctly different sound that the one produced when feeding in the proper direction. I'm not saying it can't be done, and I'll pretty much make any cut with a table saw as I have a great deal of experience with them, but if you make even the slightest mistake, you're gonna be in deep doggy.

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #29 of 36
I still contend the Dremel with the fiberglass wheels and a full face shield is the best approach.

Now, I have also used the chopsaw, with clamps and duct tape, where the metal is against the solid (substantial) metal fence, so a bind won't throw anything. It is, by far, the messiest approach possible, but expedient.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still contend the Dremel with the fiberglass wheels and a full face shield is the best approach.

Now, I have also used the chopsaw, with clamps and duct tape, where the metal is against the solid (substantial) metal fence, so a bind won't throw anything. It is, by far, the messiest approach possible, but expedient.

I think since I have the Dremel already this will be my approach. Just got my par-metal case delivered Today so hopefully I will have a square hole in it soon
smily_headphones1.gif
. Due to work probably not able to get to it until this weekend but will keep everyone posted on the results.

While I no doubt the table saw method would work and I do have a table saw, that thing scares the crap out of me using it with wood the designed way. No way would I touch it the way described. Only two tools I own that I really only use if nothing else will do is a table saw and a chain saw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back