How do you comparison test?
Feb 14, 2008 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pretzelb

100+ Head-Fier
When you're trying to compare a set of headphones, do you switch back and forth over the same content or give each one a set period of time? It seems like doing an "a/b" test with the same song would be the best but it is pretty cumbersome with IEMs. I'm just curious what works for everyone.

Feb 14, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 10
i sometimes run the music on both my laptop and dap together at the same time, with 1 headphone (earphone) plugged into each socket.

the song would run at the same speed, and then i would just swap them back and forth.

Feb 14, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 10
i listen to like a minute of a song in each, using a splitter

im rubbish, by the time ive listen to the second ive forgotton the first,

it drove me mad trying to find what one i liked out of triple fi and se530!

and it makes it harder when you have to fit them!

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, for iems, ive tried putting 1 in each ear, through a splitter, its funny, cause then one ear will definately sound better than another.

Oh my gosh, I never even thought of that. I may need to give that a try but I can see it driving me insane.

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 10
I plug both 'phones into the same amplifier, then let them charge/heat up properly.

The actual listening session start by listening a minute or two with one 'phone, then switch to the other 'phone. Adjust volume level if needed. Then repeat the procedure with different tracks/music.

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you do if they're different sensitivity?

tats why i have attenuators for =D, but yeha, ive only tried this like twice, for fun

Feb 14, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 10
If you're doing a blind test, how do you get around the fact that you can tell which headphone is which by how it feels on your head?

Just something I have always wondered...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 10
If it helps, you need to vary your genres and make a list of songs you'd like to audition when you compare headphones, earphones.

If I want to evaluate bass, I may choose something from Korn..and pay the first 10 seconds on one earphone 6 or 7 times, so I can make a mental image of the music. How are the bass, mids, and highs presented? Are they shrill, rolled off...etc.? What emotions do they encite when I listen to these earphones?

Then move on to the next. It is cumbersome, but after a while you could play 3 or 4 passages of music and move on to the next earphone.

Tune into all the details... use lossless quality or high quality VBR files....

Not that I'm an expert...but this is what helps me out. Hope this helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back