how do you compare Indigo with a portable CDP?
Feb 22, 2003 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

F15h

New Head-Fier
hi all, i am considering improve my music experience recently. My original portable CDP has been given to my girl friend
frown.gif
so i am thinking about whether buying an Indigo sound card plugged into my IBM X24 notebook, or buying another new sony/iriver portable CDP. The pity is that I have tried a few brand new PCDP yesterday (specifically, all sony versions and SlimX350, 400), and find none of them satisifies my Grado SR60. The bass is rather dull, and even worse when I open "MEGA BASS. High frequency sound is not clear and crispy. However, even using the poor Crystal audio in my IBM notebook, I find myself enjoying the bass (no SRS open), although the high frequency sometimes distorbs and stretches my ears. But overally, the sound from my notebook is surely inferior to that from a sony discman.

Now I am confronted with a paradox: either buying a discman or upgrading my notebook's audio component. Indigo seems to be ideal choice. But I has no chance to compare the two choices. No Indigo card is in stock in Hong Kong, and the retailer told me an Indigo is sold for a damn price US$180, no headphone and WinDVD boundled! I am here to seek some suggestions from experienced guys: how would you compare the sound quality of Indigo with a portable discman (without an AMP)? In addition, what's favor Indigo is that I always carry my notebook with me, thus watching DVD in my notebook may prove to a fantastic experience. However, what I concern most is the sound quanlity. Please kindly share with me your experience with the Indigo.

Feb 24, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 5
I have the Indigo, but I wasn't sure exactly how to respond without first listening to my PCDP which was at work for comparison. I have an old Sony D121 PCDP. It's decent for listening, but skips if you look at it wrong. The Indigo was a great buy for me. Unamped, the Indigo beats my Sony's headphone jack easily. I would happily use the Indigo over the Sony in this case. I can defiinitely say though that listening to the Indigo unamped versus the CDP unamped is no choice. It's the Indigo. My Beyer DT770s are driven quite happily by the Indigo without my META42 amp though I prefer the META42 with the Indigo. I think the sound quality is quite good. The highs are good and it's got a decent low end though I'm not sure it will be enough for you or not. I find the low end to be merely adequate. The DT770s are bassy, and I am demanding in the bass department, so saying that the Indigo is adequate could mean that it is awesome for you. I haven't heard the SR60s so I can't say how well the Indigo would compliment your cans. For the DT770s though, it is a fine combination. I use the Indigo here at work mostly to play MPCs and CDs on my laptop. I also plan to use it for DVDs when I am on the road, but I haven't tested it out yet to see how well it performs in that area. Hope that helps!

Feb 24, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 5
If you do a search, you'll find a thread where someone (I forget who) with a Thinkpad T23 (probably very similar to your T24) found that the Indigo's sound was inferior to the built-in sound of his laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back