How do you collect music?
Mar 29, 2015 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

DiscoProJoe

100+ Head-Fier
Here's a good, relevant topic for this site: how do you go about collecting music?

Personally, when building my music collection, I use all avenues of acquiring content -- “legal” and “illegal,” corporate and independent, paid and unpaid, etc.

I live in China, so for most non-Chinese content, I use the two sites http://melodishop.com and http://www.mp3va.com. They’re paid sites, but are super-duper cheap with anything from old American country to ‘80s Italo-Disco to the latest rock, pop, and dance tunes from all over the world. Incredibly huge databases of music content, good sound samples, good sound quality, fast download speeds, and very-well organized. And they’re actually legal, too.

I also use Google and Baidu searches for various songs and artists, along with the website http://www.myfreemp3.biz, which is another good one for obtaining songs you can’t find otherwise. Occasionally I’ll use http://www.cdbaby.com for independent-musician material. It’s got a plethora of good pop music from independent musicians. I sometimes explore indie dance-pop on that site and get some good songs off there, but it’s definitely quite “pricey” at $1.00 per song. But it’s also chock-full of unique content you can’t find elsewhere. As for iTunes, I almost never use iTunes for music downloads unless I absolutely have to, since it’s also really pricey, and without the uniqueness of content like CDBaby.

Here in China when adding Chinese pop and disco to my collection, I usually go to a small CD shop that’s about three blocks from my apartment, and buy several various-artist albums (each album has 3 CDs apiece, and about 50 songs total) for around 5-to-8 U.S. dollars per album, which amounts to about 10-to-15 U.S. cents per song. I know I’m getting a good mix of songs with good sound quality, even if I can’t read a lot of the characters. I then take those CD albums home, rip ‘em to my computer, convert ‘em to MP3 at 192 kbps, and add ‘em to my collection. I also figure out the pinyin for the artist names and song titles, and input those into the file names.

Anyway, back in the ‘90s in the “halcyon” days of CDs (while living in the U.S.), I was averaging around $1.20 per song while building my collection. Those European dance imports were especially expensive. In the last 6 years, in contrast, I’ve been averaging less than $0.10 per song. Oh, and as for file sharing,...one thing I enjoy doing here in China sometimes is opening up an older version of LimeWire, and sharing my entire collection of 9,842 songs on Gnutella! No stupid and corrupt RIAA lawsuits, here. Hahahahahahahaha! 
biggrin.gif

Well, I’m curious about your music tastes, whether you collect a lot of it, and how you do it. Post some good site links and fill us all in!

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 58
Thank you for sharing this info. 

I do find it hard to believe that the first 2 sites are legal... When they're only fraction of the price I'm used to seeing. Not that I'm bashing you or anything, but what am I missing here? And are the FLAC files on these site legit (= true quality FLAC) or mp3 transcodes (= fake FLAC)?

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 58
  And are the FLAC files on these site legit (= true quality FLAC) or mp3 transcodes (= fake FLAC)?

I suspect that they're probably fake FLACs, converted from MP3s. But I personally don't use FLAC files and am not an audiophile, so this fake-FLAC website feature doesn't bother me.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 58
Good thread !

The last time I bought music on a physical record was in... 1998 !

I used to live in Belgium, where they used to have excellent public music libraries just about everywhere, places the size of supermarkets where you could rent a CD for a whole week for about 1,50 €. Man, I must have rent thousands records from those places. I went there each and every week of the year and always came back with a full backpack. I would copy the best stuff on CD, and then a few years later I ripped them all in FLAC. Those music libraries were very popular and had everything from all genres, new and old. I left Belgium a few years ago and I heard those places are disappearing because of music downloads : nobody bothers getting out renting cds nowadays. Anyway that's what I did between the 1990's and about ~2005, and that's when I built most of my music collection.

I don't miss physical media at all. I like having all my music on a 25x15x10 cm NAS and not having to bother warehousing countless cds.

Nowadays I combine legal and illegal in a complicated way. I always download illegally first, take the time to listen to the album for a while, and if it turns out I actually enjoy it on the long term and decide not to delete it (which is not so frequent, as I've become increasingly difficult to satisfy), AND it's an artist that is not already loaded, or I feel they made something really unique that deserves a reward -technically or artistically-, then I go and pay for it, generally on Qobuz, or on the independent label's website directly if applicable.
I know I have a peculiar approach, which will seem unethical to some, but to me it isn't. I like to try comfortably before buying. I am very willing to give money to an artist whose work gives me enjoyment. It's just that I find very few music worth keeping nowadays. Of course, I don't encourage anyone to do anything illegal. And if you really like an artist, well, by all means reward him !

Sincerely, since there's no music library around where I live, if it wasn't for the possibility of trying extensively before buying thanks to illegal downloads, well, I don't think I would actually collect any new music at all anymore. There's no way in the world I'm a ever pay full price upfront for something that might just as well turn out to be an uninspired piece of badly recorded ****.

In all cases, I only download FLAC/Wavepak/Monkey/ALAC files. If I don't find an album in lossless format, then I won't even bother giving it a shot.

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 58
[Really off-topic, sorry about that]
NAS is acronym for Network Attached Storage. Basically it's a mini computer loaded with several hard drives, whose sole purpose is to store data. You access it through your home network. You can access the data that's on it via all computers in the house, it appears in file explorer just like a regular hard drive. I play all my music on the various computers in the house, but it's all actually stored on the NAS. That's the one I use : http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ReadyNAS-Diskless-Attached-RN10200-100NAS/dp/B00BNI4A90

Actually you can do many things with a NAS, you can make all your data accessible from outside too, or just parts of it, define access rules for various users, etc. You configure it via a nice easy to use web interface that you access via your web browser.

As for your other question, yes I use bittorrent. I won't post any link here but those are really easy to find, it's not like some hidden dark web thing :wink: Another good point for a NAS : my bittorrent client runs on the NAS, not on my personal computer. Actually all my data management, including work files, has been delegated to the NAS since I bought it, it also backs itself up automatically on my CrashPlan account too.

I recommend looking into it for anyone who has some meaningful amount of data to work with...
[And back on topic, but I can answer more questions on NAS in PM]
wink_face.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 58
[Really off-topic, sorry about that]
NAS is acronym for Network Attached Storage. Basically it's a mini computer loaded with several hard drives, whose sole purpose is to store data. You access it through your home network. You can access the data that's on it via all computers in the house, it appears in file explorer just like a regular hard drive. I play all my music on the various computers in the house, but it's all actually stored on the NAS. That's the one I use : http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ReadyNAS-Diskless-Attached-RN10200-100NAS/dp/B00BNI4A90

Actually you can do many things with a NAS, you can make all your data accessible from outside too, or just parts of it, define access rules for various users, etc. You configure it via a nice easy to use web interface that you access via your web browser.

As for your other question, yes I use bittorrent. I won't post any link here but those are really easy to find, it's not like some hidden dark web thing :wink: Another good point for a NAS : my bittorrent client runs on the NAS, not on my personal computer. Actually all my data management, including work files, has been delegated to the NAS since I bought it, it also backs itself up automatically on my CrashPlan account too.

I recommend looking into it for anyone who has some meaningful amount of data to work with...
[And back on topic, but I can answer more questions on NAS in PM] :wink_face:  

Oh that thing. Yeah I know what a Network Attached Storage is, the acronym just didn't click. Thanks for the info, I kind of forget they existed somehow.

I'll have to keep that in mind. Attach an SSD with all your music on it... That'd be cool thanks for the info.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 58
My music is mostly illegal, which I am not proud of. If I really like the song and would like to support the artist, I go ahead and buy it which is more frequent now. I own a few CDs and would like to expand my collection as I really like the physical media. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 58
I use Spotify Premium (320 kbps) to try out new or unfamiliar music. Anything I like and want to have I either buy on CD which I play on a hifi and also rip to ALAC lossless to use on iTunes and Apple portable devices. I also buy viyl LPs.

In my opinion illegally accessing and copying music is criminal and morally indefensible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back