How do you carry your dongles?
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kr0gg

100+ Head-Fier
The story: I have a Chord Mojo and it turned out to be not a portable device at all. Transportable - yes, not portable.
I don't know how people use players - I guess for carrying one they have to use both of their front pockets? For a phone and for a player? I can't sacrifice a front pocket for that.
So I've decided to try dongles. Getting a Tempotec sonata HD pro and a e44 looked like safe choices and indeed they turned out to be decent devices.
But what I wonder - am I carrying e44 wrong? I kind of worry about that fragile usb cable - I don't think it will live long because of constant friction.
IMG_20221004_120648.jpg

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 9
I don't.

When I'm out and about I use a TWS. The slight decrease in SQ is well worth the convenience of not having a cable or dongle. Plus a TWS gives you options like ANC and transparency mode.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 9
In the past, I've silicone banded the dongle to my LG. Both cables facing up in my pocket. The bands made phone use a pain.

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 9
A shorter cable helps as do cable clips. Ultimately I use the $9 dongle for the most part. Most earbuds and IEMs don’t really require anything more than that for safe listening volumes. The only more comfortable option is to go wireless, but nothing I’ve heard in the format really excites me.

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 9
Try using rubber bands or something similar to attach it to back of the phone. But you don’t want the cable at sharp angles or anything else that will put stress on it. That’s why I went with a DAP, I couldn’t even get 3 months out of an Apple dongle amp/DAC.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pic...e-rig-part-xvi.633511/page-2289#post-17175898

I’d dig through that thread to see how others bundle their amp/DAC dongles with their phones. Most appear to use different types of bands to attach the two.

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #6 of 9
If your phone has a case, bands could go between the case and phone.

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 9
When phones had DACs built in, things were simpler. I used to double strap my FiiO e12mb to my phone with a jumper all day. Using the FiiO with a dongle and a jumper is a recipe for disconnection. The Apple dongle is just part of the Apple tax unfortunately. Every few months—I order 1-2 annually—you either break or lose it. If I didn’t want to lose my apps, I would lose my Apple. But that’s a tale for another time and place. Right now I mostly use a 2V dongle attached to homemade earbuds. It’s really the best all around system I’ve had and it all fits in one tiny little case when not in use. You have to ‘hot swap’ it or Apple won’t allow it to work and it requires an adapter. It’s still clunky, but funky. Once the cable clip is in a comfortable location, I’m good to go. One of the best parts about DIY is that you can make custom length cables.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 9
When phones had DACs built in, things were simpler. I used to double strap my FiiO e12mb to my phone with a jumper all day. Using the FiiO with a dongle and a jumper is a recipe for disconnection. The Apple dongle is just part of the Apple tax unfortunately. Every few months—I order 1-2 annually—you either break or lose it. If I didn’t want to lose my apps, I would lose my Apple. But that’s a tale for another time and place. Right now I mostly use a 2V dongle attached to homemade earbuds. It’s really the best all around system I’ve had and it all fits in one tiny little case when not in use. You have to ‘hot swap’ it or Apple won’t allow it to work and it requires an adapter. It’s still clunky, but funky. Once the cable clip is in a comfortable location, I’m good to go. One of the best parts about DIY is that you can make custom length cables.
TMI. :p

Oct 5, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 9
I own RU6 and M15. I am very grateful for the cases that are available to buy. with the cases, the dongles are well protected. but I will probably not become a very big friend with dongles on the road 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back