How do you back up your music?
Jan 17, 2008 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Argentis

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've recently moved my music onto an external HD, and I got to thinking that I don't have a backup plan in place. What do you all use? I was thinking DVDs, but I'm not sure how to keep up with backups in the future without having a bunch of duplicates. That's about as far as I've gotten. My music collection is about 50 gigs atm, but growing weekly. Any help is much appreciated.

Argentis

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 9
I back up to an external Firewire disk (encrypted 2.5"), using my own rsync script.
Clean and simple!
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I've recently moved my music onto an external HD, and I got to thinking that I don't have a backup plan in place. That's about as far as I've gotten. My music collection is about 50 gigs atm, but growing weekly. Any help is much appreciated. Argentis

My music is all backed up on to an external hard drive - and my backup 'backup' is the physical CDs themselves.

It would be pretty time-consuming for you to back it all up to DVD, and with external hard drives so cheap at the moment - what about getting a second one and putting another backup on that?

It would be much faster. If you buy a 250GB or 500GB hard drive - it should keep you going for ages. Do you have the actual CDs as well?

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 9
raid on workstation, then Image the harddrives split the images and burn them on dvds. Once blu-ray gets cheaper and I build a new media server I can run a more aggressive daily back up scheme and not this biweekly routine I have.

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 9
I have a mixture of CDs and digital tracks in my collection. I guess I can keep a copy on my computer's HD. Can I just do a simple copy-paste? Or are there any freeware apps that I can use? Cash is pretty limited right now, so I can't really spend any money on this yet.

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 9
My library is on my internal hard drive which I back up to an external hard drive once a week. I also have all my music on my iPod which, using 3rd party software, can be restored from and the great majority of my music came from CDs that I own.

Also about every two months or so, I bring home an external that I use at work and copy all my music to it so I can listen in the office. That makes 5 copies of my music (internal, 2 externals, iPod, CDs). I think I'm covered.

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 9
Backup your music and use an external disk. I have 400gbs of music and I had a mirrored array, the frikin controller toasted the mirror and wiped my music out. If I didn't have an external disk backup, I would have lost my music, 200gbs of video ripped from VHS tapes that no longer exists, and tons of historical family pictures.

If you don't have a secure backup brother, your living on the edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back