how do you all decide what to purchase when you can't ever test them out?
Sep 13, 2020 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Squats

New Head-Fier
I had a pair of Shure se535 and then se846 but sadly (and somehow) I lost my pair of 846. The reason I got those headphones was because I got a discount on them and there was no way anyone else could match them. Now I'm looking at a pair of high end IEM headphones to purchase but I'm curious how do you all decide which one to go with since you can't ever test them out? This has been mind boggling to me as it doesn't make sense to me how you have to purchase a $3k headphones and there is not a single store that someone can go to, to test them out.

Sep 13, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 7
Read a ton of reviews, order from somewhere with a good return policy... Or buy used at a price I'm confident I can get back if I need to resell, usually.

Sep 13, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 7
Some areas do have high end audio stores where you can test in person. Otherwise read a lot of reviews and buy from somewhere with a good return policy

Sep 13, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 7
If I can't try then it for myself, then definitely reading a ton of reviews. If I have a set of headphones to start with, I try to find reviewers who have the same pair and try to find someone whose opinions are close to mine. Then I see what they have to say about other pairs their reviews. I also try to find people who listen to the same things or use their gear for the same things I do—gaming, critical listening, etc. Obviously I also look at build quality and things like that, too.

Usually that helps me narrow things down quite a bit. Then I factor in budget, availability, etc.

And if I still can't decide, I just say F it and impulse buy.

Sep 13, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 7
Bottom line is you just have to try some things, and either be able to return them or resell them. I started originally from Amazon, and returned a couple headhones from them, then switched over to purchasing used and reselling. Now that I have a better idea what I like I make purchases less frequently. The way I see it, as long as I don't lose too much money or break even its a win to "rent" a pair of used headphones to try.

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 7
I normally try and find a reviewer online who seems to share my tastes.

What I mean is, I look for someone who has reviewed a bunch of headphones that I know well - if they share my general opinion about the headphones, then they likely have a similar ear, that means I can take there opinions as being pretty accurate.

Being here in the ass-end of the world means relying on reviews a lot...

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 7
I had a pair of Shure se535 and then se846 but sadly (and somehow) I lost my pair of 846. The reason I got those headphones was because I got a discount on them and there was no way anyone else could match them. Now I'm looking at a pair of high end IEM headphones to purchase but I'm curious how do you all decide which one to go with since you can't ever test them out? This has been mind boggling to me as it doesn't make sense to me how you have to purchase a $3k headphones and there is not a single store that someone can go to, to test them out.

Well first off not everybody buys blind (deaf?). Others live in an area where there are still brick and mortar dealers. I live in a metro area where I'm 25km from the store of the Focal distributor, which is in the same mall where the Audeze and HiFiMan distributor is. About 1 stop prior is a shop for headphone audio, but since the other audio stores are in the other mall - not to mention the station there is actually built with bridges going straight to that mall - they set up shop in that mall as well.

For others who don't live near such audio stores, they'll have to rely primarily on reviews. At our CA home we're near a few dealers (not to mention Audeze's warehouse, so even my Dad who wasn't that much into headphones called me up to tell me about the break in (and his old job was right across HSU's showroom and warehouse), and also near where CanJam happens, so if I'm actually in the market for one and there isn't a pandemic, I'll just make sure to be free for CanJam. If I'd drive far enough I'd get to Schiit's showroom.

Otherwise, well, you're stuck with reviews to narrow down what to buy, and whatever you buy has to be from a dealer with a decent return policy and minimal repacking and shipping fees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back