How do you add ac to dc power to amp?
May 10, 2005 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Fresno Bob

100+ Head-Fier
I have built my frist amp it sounds wonderful. it runs on two nine volt batt's and i was wondering how would i go about add a wall wart or ac to dc pw supply to it. i would how ever like to keep the option of running the batt's aswell.

May 10, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 7
The easiest was is to get a wallwart like the Elpac WM080 (24V DC) and a switched jack. When the wallwart is plugged into the amp the batteries are disconnected.

I don't know a part number for a switched jack. I am sure someone else can recommend one.

Other alternatives are to build your own PSU. This method will be a little more complicated though. If your amp is in a mint tin you probably won't have room for a PSU either.

May 10, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 7
I'd recommend this one from Mouser. Don't mind the lockable part, that doesn't make any difference. It's switched, it's plastic so that you won't have any virtual ground issues and, near and dear to my heart, it's chea...er, inexpensive.

-Drew

May 10, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 7
The tread will work very well if built correctly.

You can use a real transformer or AC (or even DC) wallwart with it.

Final cost will be similar to an Elpac WM071. Performance should be a bit better. Depending on your amp it may not be noticable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back