How do they sound: MZ-RH10; NH600D; N420D
Jul 18, 2005 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rlmoss

New Head-Fier
SONY's Minidisc product is so hyper-segmented it confuses me. My reading of BHPhotovideo's features & spec pages let me conclude:

1) N420D works on net, uses AA battries; no mic in, & not HD Minidisc @ $74.

2) NH600D does same, but also HD-MiniDisc @ <$100

3) MZ-RH10 has analogue input for microphone; rechargable battery, & able to store as wav. @ $239

That's a big bump from $74, but might worth the $150 for the mic-in (if I did a lot of field recording.) But this about sound out--not whether x or y songs can be stored or how convenient battery length is.

Does the MZ-RH10 sound better? a lot better? Putting aside 3 types compression, how important is ability to save as wav? (If I remember correctly, wav is the native, non-compressed format.)

Many thanks,

Richard Moss

Missoula MT

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 4
I don't know so much about the various formats like ATRAC3, LP1, LP2 (on MZ-RH10.) But I'm more likely to duplicate classical audio cds than take mp3 files off net. And it's not important to me to get x00 songs on mini-disc: I can carry 10 minidiscs.

So WAV I think and try to make a bit-for-bit copy of audio cd. For analogue microphone in, close to broadcast would be nice--not compressed like a dictaphone.

Thanks,

Richard Moss
Missoula, MT

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlmoss
So WAV I think and try to make a bit-for-bit copy of audio cd. For analogue microphone in, close to broadcast would be nice--not compressed like a dictaphone.

Of the options you've listed, only the MZ-RH10 will work. The other two units do not have a microphone in for recording. They are only download units, where information is transferred via USB. Have you looked at the MZ-RH910? It's much cheaper and should do what you want. You can record in the uncompressed PCM format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back