How do the westone 3s work with Cowon D2 player?
Feb 13, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyo59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why would you wanna put a cowon with w3's, its certainly not in top 5

You better not be using that CNET chart as the guide, because you'll be banned from this site if you are.

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an iAudio 7 and the combo is pretty good. With cowons you can also tame the upper bass/lower mids bloat thanks to a decent EQ. Try -3 at 200Hz (or around there) and -3 around 780Hz. Good luck.

Thanks for the insight, I really am new to all this stuff. I had shure e2cs for a year before they broke, then i got the UM1s and i like the westone cable and sound better. Haven't heard any of the top IEMs but since the W3s have been said to be the best by many people, i thought i would just stick to a brand i am familiar with and i am really curious to hear the difference from um1s to the W3s. As for the cowon D2... i just need a higher capacity mp3 player preferrably 16gb and they are very affordable, some say they have exceptional sound and some disagree, so i am confused...

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You better not be using that CNET chart as the guide, because you'll be banned from this site if you are.

yeah I've seen their reviews, and they aren't really experts on audio equipment. So i don't really trust cnet reviews anymore either.

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #19 of 35
headfi members are also not audio experts (oh and tony, i cannot find the phone you are looking for... id have to be in japan to find it!).

the d2 is a much better player for non-iem phones than it is for iems. i suppose if you listen to slower relaxing music, it is probably good but with complicated fast music it is one of the more painful players to listen to.

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #21 of 35
My friend has the D2 and I have the Westone 3, might ask him to lend me it for a day
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend has the D2 and I have the Westone 3, might ask him to lend me it for a day
wink.gif

AHaaa that would be very nice of you if you get back at me with your feedback.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #23 of 35
Slightly off topic. Have you considered the new Sony players .. I have sony AW 729 16 Gb and couldn't be happier. It is awesoem with Um2 and i will be upgrading to Westone 3 shortly

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slightly off topic. Have you considered the new Sony players .. I have sony AW 729 16 Gb and couldn't be happier. It is awesoem with Um2 and i will be upgrading to Westone 3 shortly

Hey! no no its actually right on topic, I have actually been looking at the Sony players, and was looking at the 8gb NWZ-A818, do you think that sounds just as good as the 729s?

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #25 of 35
iMod + most portable amps = tops for the W3. If you have $400 headphones, why F around with the rest of the chain? Get full range sound. Most daps will leave you short in terms of bass extension and sq.

Get something in balance with the D2 like the phonteks(whatever) or the A5s.

I am probably looking towards getting the W3s over my A5s. Maybe though. The price is a bit steep for me to spend on portables due to the danger, danger nature of portables getting busted and/or stolen. Hell, I am afraid to take my iMod out of the house lol.

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by swmr16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey! no no its actually right on topic, I have actually been looking at the Sony players, and was looking at the 8gb NWZ-A818, do you think that sounds just as good as the 729s?

from what i know that is the older model than 729 and has the same audio technologies such as clear stereo, custom Eq ( Must for tuning highs for Um2) , clear bass etc. so you should be fine. And it has got good reviews with regards to sound quality which a must for Mp3 player.

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the latest update, it lasted me a whole day (16 hours plus) without any issues. For me, it is prefect as I do not want to carry a DAP and a cellphone. Take a look a iTouch gen2, it share the same DAC and amp as iPhone 3G.

I have to chime in here, I use my iphone 3g as my main dap/phone. I can listen to my music for 7-8 hours straight with hardly a hit to the battery. The iphone 3g is the best sounding ipod i have heard.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #28 of 35
I am listening to D2 (16GB by the way) through Westone 3 on flat EQ with all effects off. The bass presence is very seinsitive to volume. For example, the bass may be weak on volume 15, perfect on volume 18, and overwhelming on 22 while overall volume does not change that dramatically.
Neither Shure E500, nor SleekAudio SA-6 exhibit anything like this nor do W3s do this when driven from laptop (from Echo Indigo card).
Then again, it might be my ears ...

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #29 of 35
the d2 has an amp that has settings that reset every 5 steps. i am not sure what it is doing but that may explain what you are hearing zugzug. it was immediately impressed on this when i had the d2 and wondered what went on.

it is a decent enough player that i kept it for almost 9 months but i was more happy to be onto a better player.

as for the sony: the 818 sounds good except for massive amounts of hiss. you will need an amp or like 150ohm resistance to eliminate the hiss. unfortunately, the sony don't respond that well to too much resistance.

i have the 828 and the 636: both sound good but the 636 is much much quieter. it hisses but only a little though more than my ipod touch 2g. overall, i think the sony exhibits more anomalies in sound than the ipod. when i tested recently with rmaa, it had some very very good tests and then some very very bad ones whilst the ipod performed everything good to excellent the whole way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back