How do the tiny USB-C audio adapters/dongles work?
May 28, 2021 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Star Mastering

100+ Head-Fier
I only have partial knowledge of most concepts. In general, my understanding is that (from the teardowns of Meizu Hifi) there is a filter, then a USB audio bridge like CS46L41, then a DAC chip like CS43131, then an oscillator, a memory chip, many components that could be resistors or capacitors, and then wires connected to a 3.5mm jack.

Would there be any difference in sound between a large DAC in a case with DIY components and a palm-sized miniature of a mass-produced DAC?

E1DA/IVX is the only one to single-handedly create one of the best USB dongles, but isn't it possible for more people to do the same?

May 28, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 6
May 29, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 6
Given what audioscience measures, bigger devices can certainly measure better. Does it matter audibly? Probably not.. of course some headphones need very low impedance output sources and some need lots of power.

May 30, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 6
Jun 28, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 6
Would there be any difference in sound between a large DAC in a case with DIY components and a palm-sized miniature of a mass-produced DAC?
Absolutely maybe! :dt880smile:
To be less facetious, electrons are tiny tiny tiny teeny weeny tiny. So there is no inherent reason of physics a DAC has to be huge. For instance the AudioQuest USBs are well regarded, and the Apple dongle measures pretty well
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/
(sounds fine except for low output level) and somewhere there is a comparison test posted where the claim is nobody can hear the difference.
- What other equipment and speakers/headphones your listening to can make a difference. My belief is you're not going to hear differences in electronics or cable through a crummy system (unless there is some kind of grounding or other issue which happens sometimes...perhaps frequently?)

Jun 28, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 6
If a DAC is designed to perform to spec, which means inaudible levels of noise and distortion, and full balanced frequency response, it should sound the same as any other DAC. If it sounds different, it’s either defective in manufacture or design, or bias and perceptual error has skewed the comparison.

If I bought a DAC and it sounded different than other DACs, I would return it for a refund. Digital audio should be transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back