How do the JVC Marshmellows work with the iPod?
May 25, 2007 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently got the 30GB 5.5G iPod, just wondering if the Marshmallows mate OK with the headphone out - no amping.

May 25, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 11
the marshmellows sound good aslong as you correct some issues, as removing the intube filter and changing the tip, in stock configuration, they are nothing special in their price range, once the vail is removed and you have tips that provide proper seal, they should sound well,

May 25, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 11
I'd just want throw-around buds to put in a small camera bag along with the iPod, seems like they would be decent for the price.

May 25, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 11
I agree, they should sound good comming out. If you dont like them, you can mod them, as there are several threads floating around on here about how to do it. However I disagree with Aevum, they are something special in their price range, there aren't any other good IEM's in the under $30 range. So they are something special in their price range, just not in the overall scope of IEM's. Honestly for $20 you can't beat the Marshmallow in entry level IEM quality.

May 25, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 11
they are very easy to drive and provide tons of bass, they are muddy tho but for a throway pair, definitely worth it. And the wires they use seem to be more durable and thicker than the fx55 i own, which are slightly more expensive

May 25, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 11
These are my phones-of-choice (for the moment) when I don't feel like carrying an amp. I use them with my iPod all the time and agree with the "good in the price range sentiment." They are a nice way to shut off the world and enjoy decent sound. I would buy these again before I would buy any earbuds in the price range. Just don't expect miracles because they are not perfect. Nice beaters.

May 25, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 11
To me, it works well. It's not the best thing I've used with the iPod, but for the price the sound delivered is outstanding.

I'm currently using it Kramermodded to my liking though (gotta experiment with the sizes of the foam until it suits your need with the bass/highs), and I love the phones.

You might notice that the highs feel a bit muffled by the bass so you should listen to it regularly first then try the mod if what I said was the case.

This is with a nano 2g.

May 26, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 11
The are fine un-modded. They don't isolate as well as "real" IEMs, like Shure E4C's, but they provide some isolation and they sound OK.

They are better than the iBuds and better than the Sony EX-71. They are different from the KSC-75 - probably not better, but not much behind them at all.

I think they are a good buy at $15-$20, and I use them almost daily while at work - to keep out the noise of chatty, whiny co-workers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back