how do the beyerdynamic dt770's compare to m50x's????
Aug 11, 2016 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

charlienelson

New Head-Fier
i think im going to buy the beyerdynamic dt770. any other headphones out there you would recommend for around $180? im looking for over ear with just great all around performance and quality. how do M50x's compare to the dt770? im really interested in those to. thanks alot for any feedback!

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 8
For $180, depends what kind of sound you're looking to get, or what kinda music you'll be listening to. 

But if we're just talking about the 2 you're looking into. I prefer the dt770's over the m50x for comfort, and sound. 

The m50's try to say theyre monitoring cans, while screaming bass and treble into your ears, while the dt770's are probably some of the best sounding v-shaped cans (they're really fun headphones) for it's price and probably even above its price (until the Fidelio X2's ofcourse)

Pads on dt770 are surprisingly soft and comfortable, while m50's pads are not, and I cant even stand wearing them for less than an hour

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 8

ok cool thank you. i was looking at the fidelio's but i dont like how they look and their open back which i dont want. i dont listen to really bassy music, only listen to really a few songs https://soundcloud.com/smittywebenjagermanjenson/sets/songz

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 8
  i think im going to buy the beyerdynamic dt770. any other headphones out there you would recommend for around $180? im looking for over ear with just great all around performance and quality. how do M50x's compare to the dt770? im really interested in those to. thanks alot for any feedback!

DT770 would be better, but needs to be used with a decent headphone amplifier.

Check out the Soundmagic HP150 closed headphones, should give you a DT770 sound, but with an easier to drive headphone.

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 8

i was actually just looking at those, but ive never seen them before or heard of them. would the 32ohm dt770 be ok without an amp? i dont realy want those anymore since i heard they were made from the 80's. i mean of course if the sound quality is great than who cares, but i just dont really like that lol. im kind of lost now i which pair to get, now i hear theres some great fostex t40rp or t20rp that i really like but theres this whole mad dog thing with pads and i dont even understand its to damn much i am a newb i guess or something

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 8

i was actually just looking at those, but ive never seen them before or heard of them. would the 32ohm dt770 be ok without an amp? i dont realy want those anymore since i heard they were made from the 80's. i mean of course if the sound quality is great than who cares, but i just dont really like that lol. im kind of lost now i which pair to get, now i hear theres some great fostex t40rp or t20rp that i really like but theres this whole mad dog thing with pads and i dont even understand its to damn much i am a newb i guess or something

Yes 32ohm dt770 would be okay without an amp. 

The fostex t20/40/50 rp headphones have a great driver, but are usually modded by people (and some sell them like mr speakers and ZMF) which the Mad Dogs / Alpha dogs / Alpha primes come from mr.speakers, but they are based on the mk2 version of the t50's they are not made anymore, as the mk3 has come out and is in its own right as good as the mad dogs, but does need a pad swap.

It's a little overwhelming trying to figure it all out in the beginning, but learning about them slowly youll figure it out. But to go along with the fostex, they NEED a good powerful amp. So if youre looking for something closed that doesnt need an amp dt770 32ohm, soundmagic hp150 as PurpleAngel said, and the MSR7's are all good choices. 

My vote still for MSR7's as you said you dont listen to very bass heavy music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back