How do the 5th gen iPod Nanos sound?
Apr 30, 2010 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kloan

1000+ Head-Fier
I just grabbed a cheap 1st gen 4GB Nano on eBay... needed a new battery, already installed it and it's working fine.

However, I'm not quite satisfied with the sound this time around (I've had two of these in the past).

Coming from the 2nd gen 16GB Touch I had before it, it's left me a little disappointed. I'm also not too thrilled I can't use my ADDIEMs with it (not the remote part anyway). I haven't yet tried it out with my UM3X.

So I've been wondering how would the sound compare to the current 5th gen Nano....

Has anyone who owns the current gen Nano owned a 1st gen Nano in the past? Can you comment on the sound quality difference? OR maybe if I could just get some general opinions on the current gen Nano's sound that would help too.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 4
hello
i own an iphone 3gs,and used to have the new 5th generation ipod nano. the iphone 3gs had way better sound quality than the ipod nano.in terms of sound quality,i didn't like at all the ipod nano 5th generation....i had never had an ipod nano 1rst generation,but i think the quality should be the same...or worse! i was totally unsatisfied(comparing with iphone 3gs)

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 4
I have a 2nd gen nano, a 2nd gen Touch, and a 5th gen nano. The sound of the 2nd gen nano is warmer than the 5th gen. I think most of my IEM's sound better with the 5th gen nano or with the Touch. The sound difference between the Touch and 5th gen nano is relatively small, however i think i prefer the nano's sound just slightly.
Having said that, i auditioned my brother's 1st gen nano recently and compared to my 2nd gen. I thought his was the brighter sounding of the two, so the 5th gen would lean closer to that would be my assumption.

May 1, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the feedback.

I had a listen with my UM3X today, and they actually sound really good through this Nano. The sound is definitely warmer from this Nano than the Touch, it reminds me of 80's hifi... so it is warmer than the Touch. But these UM3X sound much better than the ADDIEMs... figuring that I only use the ADDIEMs when I workout, I think I'll be satisfied with what I've got. Besides, I just got a really nice leather case for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

And, for $30 total (after replacing the battery)... can't really complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back