How do Senn HD408's compare to PX100-ii's?
Mar 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Cieran

Head-Fier
I absolutely love the sound of my PX100-ii's but seeing as I am only using them at home I am looking for something with a bigger and more engulfing sound while retaining a similar signature.

Would the HD408's provide this?

All advice and opinions welcome...thanks

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 4
imo going from the PX-100ii and HD 4xx series are two different beasts. I have the 448, it is very very clean and analytical but not nearly as engaging as the px-100ii unless ambient noise is an issue. From my limited knowledge, I would say the 448 are very balanced and neutral and nothing stands out. 

For me the next step up from the px-100ii was the superlux 668b and that really opened up my ears. The Q701 is a much cleaner upgrade - but it only costs ~$50 to find out what the superlux sound like anyways.

Edit: one thing about going from the px-100ii to the superlux is that the superlux emphasizes both treble and bass where I felt the px-100ii had more of a bass emphasis 

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 4
I was tempted to go for the Superlux a few weeks back after reading some glowing reviews here and elsewhere. My only concern with getting these is that the trebles are supposed to be a bit harsh at times and I think I would miss the Senn's dark and smooth signature.

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 4
After listening to open phones for like 3 months straight, when I got a decent closed set it really opened my mind to what engaging means.

For example I find myself often head-banging to the Monoprice DJ headphones that I never did while using open cans. If that is what you mean by engulfing then it might be time to move to a closed set. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back