How do IEM's stand up to sealed cans?
Feb 17, 2007 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

napol30n

100+ Head-Fier
I am in need of some cans that isolate because I am going to be getting surgery and because of this be on a 12+ hour bus ride each way. Coupled with the fact that my DT880/03 bothesr my family when I listen to them, and as next year I will be going to university and probably have a room mate I am thinking of selling the DT880 and buying something with more isolation.

I'm looking to spend $150USD max (used is prefered)

from the sealed corner I am seeing

DT770/80
AKG K81 DJ
AKG K 271 S
DT 250-250
DT 250-80
A900
PROline 650

From the IEM corner I'm seeing

UE super.fi 5Pro
Shure E4C
Etymotic ER4P

I'm not concerned about any specific model at this point, only wondering when solely dealing with sound quality can the IEMS keep up with the full sized closed cans at the same price point?

I would like to only have one pair of headphones and for them to be all rounders (for portable and home use). I am willing to buy a cmoy if i need an amp for portable use but nothing more expensive than that.

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 24
IEMs are stomped on by just about everything else when you evaluate what you get dollar for dollar.

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEMs are stomped on by just about everything else when you evaluate what you get dollar for dollar.

Sorry, but could you elaborate on that? I think some IEM's can offer much more per dollar than some headphones.

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 24
At nearly the same price, my 2003 DT-880 and ety ER4P both deliver very impressive detail. The open cans being more airy with bigger headstage but I don't feel deprived one bit listening to the ER4P (amped with SuperMini/S conversion)- 880 with Woo Audio 3 tube amp.

I think my ER4P sound very good even straight out of my iPod but with line out & amp is what really makes them shine.

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but could you elaborate on that? I think some IEM's can offer much more per dollar than some headphones.

i agree

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 24
I've got to say i've been really happy with my ER-4P's. They are extremely detailed and I'd say are comparable to the quality I get out of my SR-125's, although with a significantly different sound signature.

One thing to keep in mind is IEMs completely isolate you. This is also very good for sound quality if you are in a noisy environment. Walking to class and taking the bus, I wouldn't have anything other than my IEM's and I sometimes use them for critical listening too. That is always something to consider. You will almost always hear better sound in a noisy environment since you don't have to try to hear "over" noise.

Feb 17, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 24
I used to be a big IEM supporter, but not so much any more. A reasonably good full-size can will nearly always offer significantly higher quality sound than even the best IEM can give. Part of the reason for this are the inherent limitations of balanced armature drivers, and the small size and in-ear nature of the device itself. A full-size can will offer more impact and better extension on the top end than any IEM.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 24
you need to consider that you will be listening for a fair few hours, and iem's will be uncomfortable to someone who has never worn them before, let alone for 12 hours or so. i have had iiems for 4 years+ and they get uncomfortable after 8 or so hours...
i would suggest the dt770/80, or the hd25-1. you wont need masses of isolation on a bus, and they will certainly be more comfortable.

Feb 18, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 24
I have both the DT 770/80 and the Super.fi 5 Pro and they're surprisingly comparable. The bass on the 770s has greater extension and more power, the treble also has greater extension on the 770s, the Super.fi 5 Pro is clearer and has better instrument separation. Nevertheless, the sound signature is very similar and I really never feel like I'm missing out when I'm using the SF5 Pros instead of the 770s. At this point, I'd say I use my SF5 Pros 80% and the 770s 20%, mainly because of the portability of IEMs. And, they cost about the same.

So I wouldn't say that full-sized are clearly a better value. But I think that as a rule full sized cans have better top and bottom extension while IEMs are kings of clarity.

Feb 18, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #12 of 24
I sometimes wear my Shure E4s for 12 hours on a journey; they stay enjoyable and comfortable all the time, no hot ears, no irritation, no fatigue.
Also they do not leak, and isolate enough to enjoy even in a noisy airplane.
And I love the soundsignature, more ten good enough and I consider myself ; you can probably get better sounding full sized cans for the same money, but they often need an amp and get uncomfortable after a while.
So IEMs sound fine and they are more flexible, you can use them longer, in more places with more sources then other models.

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #13 of 24
Not to hijack this thread, but I figure this relates directly...

I remember a thread from a while back where a woman was buying her husband hi-end IEMs and someone mentioned one with a "push to listen" button so they would not have to take them out to listen to someone talking to them.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? :wink:

No matter the price, I want to give them strong consideration on my next purchase. Well, either that or I'll have to start giving consideration to the selection of a divorce attorney.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back