How do I write a review that doesn't suck?
May 28, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #16 of 26
As others have said, I also think it's important to have fun while writing it. Otherwise, it's just not worth it.

Personally, I like to read reviews that also have a short section on personal dislikes and certain shortcomings of the review equipment. Lots of reviews lack these parts, which I find rather unfortunate. For me, this added layer of differentiation gives a review more credibility and draws the line between good reviews and fan reports.

The reviews I enjoyed reading the most were darth nut's legendary OII review and mbratruds l3000/dha3000 review because all facts aside, there's just no replacement for good English. Most of bangraman and gerG's reviews are great, too, and I've used their reviews, especially the outlines, a lot as a reference. Definetely worth checking out to have some kind of guideline.

May 28, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #17 of 26
If for no one else, I'll write my review for Barry. Here's to you, big guy.

You know that stuff I wrote about Superpredator being thoughtful, considered and junk like that? Well. We will see, won't we..... (no pressure, little guy
rs1smile.gif
)

And jiminy christmas (strong language, I know) - you want unique? If a review were really unique, it would not be so useful to the rest of us unwashed.

Kidding aside - this is a good question. Most of us can't listen to the equipment that we end up buying and reviews that describe accurately and communicate well add a great deal, I think, to the value of Head-fi. And many reviews don't get it done. And I agree with the summation suggestion. Please, just do not go too far in its brevity. For example, a bad summary would be something like "All in all, these headphones sound good"
rs1smile.gif

May 28, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #19 of 26
Just read Duggeth's AMT review. He wins!

May 29, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For example, a bad summary would be something like "All in all, these headphones sound good"
rs1smile.gif

whereas a good summary would be something like "All in all, these headphones tasted delicious and I look forward to consuming more of Asr's collection
biggrin.gif
"

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #22 of 26
I wouldn't try for a formal review. Write down the thing you like best about the headphones you are reviewing, then the next, and so on. Do the same with the things you don't like. Now organize them together in some kind of a logical structure; almost any structure will do, even chaos (for instance for headphones that have zero control over the sound!) Now write your notes into comprehensible sentences and paragraphs. Lead the article with what you like best. Make a summary at the end of three high points and three low points of the headphones. Keep the whole thing short. If you have good style humour comes naturally, if you don't, humour will be forced and sound childish.

HTH. A local library might have copies of my books for other writers. Try "Writing Proposals and Synopses that Sell"; a review is a sort of synopsis of your opinion about something.

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's books and amps at http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As part of Asr's K701 loaner program I have the 701 for 10 days. I'm supposed to write a review or at least impressions, and I'm finding the task just a little difficult. I've taken much of the weekend to listen to the 701 with all my equipment, various tubes, and in comparison to all my other cans and even a 325i I'm borrowing. I have oodles of notes. I don't shy away from writing, but something about a review, especially on music or audio gear, tends to get me distracted.

The only good review I've ever written was of an iPod case, and I have a brief comparison of a W2002 and Zu recabled HD650 somewhere that I'm not ashamed of. I think my impressions from the recent Philly meet were somewhat coherent. Everything else borders on the craptacular. I kind of swore off writing reviews because typically I don't buy gear that hasn't already been sufficiently reviewed, and until just recently I didn't really know what I was talking about anyway.

I realize that the universe isn't hanging on my review of the K701. Barry is, but he just wants to know which of my two home amps it sounds better with. I just feel that I should do what I can to make Asr's generosity, time and energy worthwhile.

So, I'm asking you to help me help you not read another stankfabulous Superpredator review.

You obviously write well, which is half the battle. Just compare the strengths and weaknesses of the 701's to the headphones you use as a reference with your favorite music. Write about how they make you feel when listening to your favorite cuts. Most good writers are way too critical of themselves. I look forward to reading whatever you come up with, especially if you have some sound advice to lend. I am not very happy with my 701's, and plan on replacing the stock cables.

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #26 of 26
Interesting discussion... Its not easy, transcribing what you hear and feel into type-written text. IMHO it is a discipline, just like anything else. Ditto what the others have said. Keep a journal and jot down things you hear, when you hear them. I keep a running word document for some of my notes, on my laptop. That q-jays thread is now up to 8-9 pages long peppered with my running commentary, same goes for the PK1 thread.

I agree with the other member about the 6-moons reviews (for example)... too much to say about nothing. You can go on and on about something, gush and glow till' we all puke, when in reality a simple A-B-C comparison in 3-4 sentences will suffice.

I try to focus much of my review commentary on A-B comparisons whenever possible. IMHO it just...represents the real world, as consumers narrow down their choices between A, B and C. It also gives everyone a common base-line for comparison.

I try and stay away from outlandishly bashing an item. If something is not to my sonic preference, if a particular design element raises some concern... I simply state it as such. Generally I try and stay away from extreme praise or extreme dislike... unless something is truly praise-worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back