How do i use Cayin C5DAC with PS4?
Jan 24, 2019 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

therock003

100+ Head-Fier
I am seriously considering buy this DAC/AMP but it am looking for a way to use it with the PS4 game console, which only outputs sound via optical out. It also offers 3.5mm output but from the controller, but since the sound is transmitted via bluetooth from the console to the controller, it is already butchered by the time it gets there

Is there some kind of optical in- usb out adapter perhaps, that only repackages the digital signal it receives from optical port and outputs to usb, so it can be received from the usb in of the Cayin DAC unit

Heres the PS4 port selection

PS%204%20Pro-1TB_Banner_Specs.jpg

xWyhQAfTBaa._UX300_TTW__.png

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 12
Assuming the C5DAC comes with an analog line input.
You can get a FiiO D3 DAC with optical input, connect the D3 to the C5DAC's line-input.
PS4 > optical > D3 > analog > C5DAC.

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 12
Yes but you lose your dac functionality if you already get it converted to analog. Isn't there a digital to digital conversion that gets the optical and outputs it to USB
I would say to skip on the Cayin C5 DAC, you would be better off (with the PS4) getting something with optical input.
Hifimediy optical DAC, $65
Schiit Magni or JDS Atom headphone amplifier, both sell for $100.
What headphones do you have?
You do understand with the setups we are talking about, there is no headphone surround sound, it would be just stereo (2.0) headphone audio

Jan 26, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 12
I got the shure se530 minitors and a cheap quality pair Headphones Superlux HD668B.

But wait i think ive messed up. I never considered about stereo or otherwise. Since headphones/earphones are stereo i thought it didnt matter so i went ahed and purchased it a couple of hours ago. What does this mean in terms of gaming and movies which use multichannel audio

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 12
I got the shure se530 minitors and a cheap quality pair Headphones Superlux HD668B.
But wait i think I've messed up. I never considered about stereo or otherwise.
Since headphones/earphones are stereo i thought it didn't matter so i went ahead and purchased it a couple of hours ago.
What does this mean in terms of gaming and movies which use multi-channel audio
Surround sound gaming headsets are (mostly) stereo (2-channel), the surround sound is processed from 6 (or 8) channel audio (the source, game or movie), into (2-channel) headphone surround sound.
So something else (like an Astro Mix-amp) does the surround sound processing, before the audio is sent to the (stereo) headphones.
The Superlux HD668B is a decent headphone, for it's price.

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 12
Surround sound gaming headsets are (mostly) stereo (2-channel), the surround sound is processed from 6 (or 8) channel audio (the source, game or movie), into (2-channel) headphone surround sound.
So something else (like an Astro Mix-amp) does the surround sound processing, before the audio is sent to the (stereo) headphones.
The Superlux HD668B is a decent headphone, for it's price.

Ok so please bear with me cause i'm an ultra newb. In my case with the C5DAC which has a usb input and acts as a dac, since it receives the whole sound from the source (movie, game etc) cant it process it and create that pseudo surround effect for stero headphones/earphones? Does it have to be some specific piece of equipment like that astromix you mentioned.

In the beggining a was thinking of some game-specific equipment but in the end i was talked into that c5 due to its overall better results, and even great reviews from this site.

Do you think i would have been better off, with something like the SoundBlaster E5/ G5/ G6 or the Sennheiser GSX-1000?

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 12
Ok so please bear with me cause i'm an ultra newby. In my case with the C5DAC which has a USB input and acts as a DAC, since it receives the whole sound from the source (movie, game etc) cant it process it and create that pseudo surround effect for stereo headphones/earphones? Does it have to be some specific piece of equipment like that Astro-Mix you mentioned.
In the beginning a was thinking of some game-specific equipment but in the end i was talked into that C5 due to its overall better results, and even great reviews from this site.
Do you think i would have been better off, with something like the Sound Blaster E5/ G5/ G6 or the Sennheiser GSX-1000?
For a PS4, I would go for the Creative Labs X G6, for one thing I know it will provide good sound quality
The G6 can be connected to the PS4's optical port and I believe the PS4, using Dolby (or DTS?) can send 6-channel of digital audio to the G6, which I'm assuming will process it into headphone surround sound.
But I do not have any real experience with using the PS4, I can easily set one up, but really do not spend any time gaming on them.
Suggest you find a dedicated PS4 forum and talk with those that have a lot of experience with the PS4.

An Astro Mix-amp will give you decent sound quality and they sell used for $50, but the G6 will offer better sound quality.

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Ok and as far as my C5DAC now, never mind the PS4 and the optical, in case i use a pc, and i transfer audio via the usb to the Cayin C5 (whether it will be movie, or game) will it be able to handle the sound and create a surround soundstage. I just want to make sure i didnt mess up and be able to use it for this scenario at least, and not only for 2 channel music hearing

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Ok and as far as my C5DAC now, never mind the PS4 and the optical, in case i use a PC, and i transfer audio via the USB to the Cayin C5 (whether it will be movie, or game) will it be able to handle the sound and create a surround sound stage. I just want to make sure i didn't mess up and be able to use it for this scenario at least, and not only for 2 channel music hearing
The C5DAC does not come with any built in surround sound processing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back