How do I use a Schiit Modi 2 DAC?
Dec 23, 2017 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Astralogic

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm going to buy some ATH-AD900X's and I will sell my Soundblaster Zx soundcard and replace it with a Schiit Modi 2 DAC (I heard it's better quality, and it's cheaper the the SoundblasterX G5 I was going to get)..

I want to know what I'm doing before I spend any money. So I see the magni has a USB socket so I guess that's how it is powered. I see two RCA sockets so I guess I need a 3.5mm to RCA to connect it to the output of my onboard sound? Why would it use my onboard sound?

AH, I'm confused.

Dec 23, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi, I'm going to buy some ATH-AD900X's and I will sell my Soundblaster Zx soundcard and replace it with a Schiit Modi 2 DAC (I heard it's better quality, and it's cheaper the the SoundblasterX G5 I was going to get)..
The Modi 2 is a DAC only device, you need to buy an amplifier also.

I want to know what I'm doing before I spend any money. So I see the magni has a USB socket so I guess that's how it is powered. I see two RCA sockets so I guess I need a 3.5mm to RCA to connect it to the output of my onboard sound? Why would it use my onboard sound?
You don't need to use your onboard sound, the RCA on the Modi 2 are RCA outs, not in. They output a signal, they don't accept one. You only need a USB A to USB B cable for the digital input.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 4
I see. In that case I will go for a Schiit Fulla 2. DAC and AMP.
Good choice, although for 100 dollars more you can get both Modi 2 and Magni 3, that amp is essentially the best 100 dollar amp on the market and the best value out of any amp I've seen. Small price to pay for peace of mind because you may get the itch to upgrade the Fulla 2 in the near future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back