How do I undo the K701 headband???
Jul 2, 2008 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MilkyWay

100+ Head-Fier
I like many of us here have some comfort issues with the K701 headband and I'm planning to bring it to my tailor so he can sow a layer of red lambskin and stuff it with a little bit of wool. The problem is I can't find any information on undoing the headband so I need some help. I've tried to pry the joints open with a small screwdriver but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks in advanced

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 6
I just took a hard look at mine and it SEEMS like its basically a rivet holding it together. It seems that you would have to drill it out and reinstall a new rivet.

I thought I just had a big head and that's why the akg's hurt my head after awhile. I just readjust the headband every so often.

Let me know how that all works out for you cuase I might do that to mine.

zack

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 6
Ugh... I really wanted to hear that quick twist or something because I read that some people here replaced them with the k601 or 501 headband.

I'll post some pictures and thoughts once I find out for sure how this darn thing comes off.

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Check the AKG website, in the parts pages they have exploded-view diagrams showing all the parts and how they fit together.

Looking at mine, there is a 'guide' piece that is stationary plus a 'slider; which moves and to which the headband is fastened.
If you are careful you can spread the two grey covered metal headband rods apart and pull the 'slider' from between them. Then pop the clear plastic piece off the nub on the rear of the 'guide'.
I just tried this and I was just able to get this far easily, and using no tools. Mine went back together with no harm done.

Lastly you are left with the 'elastics' which you must disconnect from under the caps on the earpieces, requiring they be openned - which is the difficult part.
I did not do this part and will leave you to risk you pair form here out.
tongue.gif

*edit: I found this to be unecessary as like a new pair of shoes the headband will break-in with use and there will be no further discomfort (at least in my case). To accelerate this process you can 'flex' the leather between your fingers back-and-forth to soften it some. Also if you find there is too much "clamping" you can also flex the steel rods a bit to loosen their grip.

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 6
Ok, I've been doing some research around and some people suggested flexing the band with leather conditioner which is what I've tried. The flexing does work but wears the lettering out on the top so if you don't mind that it works pretty well. If that bothers you then apply a high quality leather conditioner.

Thanks for the help NiceCans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back