How do I strip insulation - earbuds
Sep 14, 2008 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sandbasser

100+ Head-Fier
Hi -

A newbie here... I have been really enjoying this forum for several weeks now.

But I have a problem when trying to do some soldering on earbud wires; having trouble stripping insulation. Tried scraping with exacto knife - got a little of it off but solder still barely sticks. The insulation seems to be some kind or lacquer or chemical compound.

How is the best way to strip it. Chemical like acetone or what? Mechanical, some kind of special tool or what???

Thanks,

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 11
I think i heard before that if you put it under a flame for a few seconds it burns off.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 11
Right, put the edges of the wires in acetone, and then with a lighter, burn it for a few seconds!

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks, I'll give the acetone / flame combo trick a try.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 11
It's an enamel coating most likely, and holding it in a solder blob for a little while should also strip it.

Sep 15, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 11
I have a 40 watt desoldering iron from Radioshack. I just put a blob of solder on the tip, it burns the the enamel off and tins the wire.

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKazador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 40 watt desoldering iron from Radioshack. I just put a blob of solder on the tip, it burns the the enamel off and tins the wire.

best method.

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 11
I don't have a 40 watt soldering iron so I tried just burning it off
But it left that black substance
However, I have tried sanding the paper and it just gets messy
Can anyone provide a chemical based method, I've been reading some about aspirin and soldering irons or acid or something
Thanks

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 11
You shouldn't need a 40w iron, it might just take a little work with a weaker one. Get a really good blob of solder going, and add some flux if you have a separate source. Dip the wire in the solder blob and keep heat on it. The insulation will bubble off and leave a little bit of a black blob, but you should also have a nice, clean, tinned tip after that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back