How do I solder this type of plug?
Dec 19, 2009 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

clarinetman

500+ Head-Fier
I just recently bought some Pailiccs plugs to repair the jacks couple of pairs of broken headphones. However, much to my dismay, I have no clue how to solder this particular kind of plug because it's not the three-terminal-type. Here is a pic of what I'm talking about:

pailiccs_mine.jpg

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
multimeter !

I don't exactly know how I would use a multimeter on this. Care to extrapolate?

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 9
depends on your multimeter anything that will put up a signal will tell you what the contacts are if i had to guess L would be the first contact poking out then right the inner contact most plugs are.
ground ___
----=|=|||==|=|=>
Left^ ^Right

but i could be wrong never used that plug before. use the multimeter !!

Dec 19, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 9
You turn it to the ohmmeter and you read the ohms in order to figure out what conducts where. Most multimeters that cost for me $5 come with a connectivity mode too, where it beeps when the circuit is completed. (mine does not >_>)

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 9
I agree with Momomomomomomo's assessment. I know there are some people on the forum who know for sure as that alignment shows up in a couple different plugs. Check for the ultimate diy 3.5mm plug (or something like that) thread. All manner of plugs are shown and discussed and might shed some light. But, yeah, when in doubt use a multimeter and check each part of the trs with the various solder spots to figure out how they connect up.

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for all of your answers! The multimeter worked very well. For anybody curious, this is how the solder terminals work:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2l941z5.jpg
(sorry, inserting the image wasn't working for some reason)

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back