How do i setup foobar with wasapi? (i see no option in output
Dec 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 10
I wouldn't be able to help you any further then what I've experienced.

All I did was copy the .dll into the components folder, I made sure foobar was closed before copying it over, after I copied the file over I opened up foobar and browsed to File->Preferences->Components.

Select WASAPI: (Your output device) ASUS Xonar Essence STX and it was done.

Have you tried re-installing foobar? I'd recommend using ccleaner for the uninstall just to make sure no files are left over, and also you can scan for registry files not in use anymore in ccleaner, after you uninstall foobar of course.

After that I would go ahead and just start the process over and see where it gets you, if that doesn't work I'm sure someone more helpful will come along.

Happy new year.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, make sure your device supports WASAPI (I could be wrong on this) but I know that before I installed my sound card I tried setting this up with onboard and it didn't show up at all.

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirDrexl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that according to the video, you're using Windows XP, which doesn't support WASAPI. You need Vista or Win 7.

Try the Kernel Streaming plugin instead: foobar2000: Components Repository - Kernel Streaming support

Boom - end of Thread

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirDrexl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that according to the video, you're using Windows XP, which doesn't support WASAPI. You need Vista or Win 7.

Try the Kernel Streaming plugin instead: foobar2000: Components Repository - Kernel Streaming support

I'm currently using asio4all with foobar in winxp. Is this better or worse than kernel streaming support? Or are they completely different entirely?

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 10
I read up about the kernel streaming plugin at the link provided, and in an article posted with it, it said that XP processes audio in it's kmixer in 16-bit integer format.
Does that mean that to get what's expected from 24-bit material that we have to upgrade to Windows 7?

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerotohero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently using asio4all with foobar in winxp. Is this better or worse than kernel streaming support? Or are they completely different entirely?

It's almost exactly the same thing, just a different method. If you hear a difference, it's placebo or you're doing something wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read up about the kernel streaming plugin at the link provided, and in an article posted with it, it said that XP processes audio in it's kmixer in 16-bit integer format.

That's why we bypass kmixer with Kernal Streaming / ASIO. (IIRC how it works)

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 10
I just did the same and it worked for me.

A short summary of what I did:

1) Download the file here: foobar2000: Components Repository - WASAPI output support and extract the .dll file to the components folder. (make sure Foobar is shut down during this process)
2) Start Foobar, got to File -> Preferences and click Components. If done correctly you should now see WASAPI Output Support somewhere in the list of found components.
3) Now go to Playback under the Preferences tab and click Output, now select WASAPI:...(whatever setup suits your current)... under the Output Device scroll down window.
4) Once you've selected the correct setup click Apply followed by Ok, reboot Foobar and it should work!

Hope this has clearified any possible doubts about how to do this :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back