How do I setup a turntable to work with headphones properly?
Aug 8, 2013 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ProximaCentauri

New Head-Fier
To start off, I would like to apologize if I'm making a thread that has already been done.
I've been looking for for stuff, found all the required stuff like a turntable and a preamp, and now I'm wondering, can I hook up my headphones to the preamp using RCA to female 3,5 or whatever I would otherwise connect my speakers to? Or do I need a headphone amplifier? Thanks for you help and please link me to other threads like this if you need, my pleasure to read them.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 18
Sometimes people do hook up their headphones to a line-out connection.
But a headphone amplifier is usually more desirable.
What headphones are you using?

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
Not at all, which is why I'm asking. No possible way for me to order one online.

Well, okay. Do you have a budget for it? And where are you located? Is it possible to get your audio equipments locally?

A typical turntable setup has a turntable, a phono preamp, and an amplifier. The phono preamp addition is needed to convert the signal from the turntable to a line level signal. You're going to need a headphone amp because if not then you won't be able to control the volume.

It's possible to get yourself the Audio Technica AT-LP120 with a built in phono preamp, then you can get yourself a headphone amplifier. It should be adequate at best.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 18
It's possible to get yourself the Audio Technica AT-LP120 with a built in phono preamp, then you can get yourself a headphone amplifier. It should be adequate at best.

I live in Sweden and hifi headphone gear is rare to find locally at all here. I've looked up the AT-LP120 up in the past, the only way to get it was through amazon/ebay and pay just as much for the delivery as for the turntable. 

Perhaps I could use my crappy 60$ speakers with a volume controll and a headphones jack instead of a headphone amp to controll the volume? That'd probably work, along with a semi-cheap preamp. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 18
I live in Sweden and hifi headphone gear is rare to find locally at all here. I've looked up the AT-LP120 up in the past, the only way to get it was through amazon/ebay and pay just as much for the delivery as for the turntable. 

Perhaps I could use my crappy 60$ speakers with a volume controll and a headphones jack instead of a headphone amp to controll the volume? That'd probably work, along with a semi-cheap preamp. 

Yeah that should work, I see no reason why it shouldn't. Source yourself a turntable locally, and if its possible get yourself the TCC TC-750 phono preamp. I understand your concern with the shipping cost, I live in malaysia and the shipping price is crazy steep, moreso if bought from amazon.

What about turntables? Can you get one locally?

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 18
Oh yeah, deffinatelly. I live in the city Gothenburg in Sweden, and blocket.se is a really nice site to visit. I've sern a lot of TD 166 MKII's popping up lately, even a Rega Planar 2 (which looks stunning), some SL1200's but they're out of my price range.

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 18
I have no idea how the TD 166 MKII performs but the Rega Planar II would be a good turntable to start with and can serve you well for years to come.

Get yourself that turntable and the phono preamp and you're good to go!

No problem, I regularly browse with my phone too.

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 18
Your turntable -> a preamp with phono input (or "phono preamp") -> headphone amplifier .
Seems like a lot of people that get into turntables these days go with audio-technica's AT-LP60.
While not the best, it is affordable and the best part for beginners is that it has a built in phono preamp meaning the RCA outputs at the back can be connected straight to your headphone amplifier.
Connecting your headphone to a phono preamp output via a 3.5 or 6.5mm to RCA will NOT work.
The preamp is not an amplifier, meaning the signal that comes out of it's output has not been amplified yet hence you will not hear anything .

Hope this helps.

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Your turntable -> a preamp with phono input (or "phono preamp") -> headphone amplifier .
Seems like a lot of people that get into turntables these days go with audio-technica's AT-LP60.
While not the best, it is affordable and the best part for beginners is that it has a built in phono preamp meaning the RCA outputs at the back can be connected straight to your headphone amplifier.
Connecting your headphone to a phono preamp output via a 3.5 or 6.5mm to RCA will NOT work.
The preamp is not an amplifier, meaning the signal that comes out of it's output has not been amplified yet hence you will not hear anything .

Hope this helps.

Actually he's planning to connect the turntable to his speakers. And his speakers has volume control.

My proposed solution is to get a turntable and a phono preamp, connect it to the speakers and he can also use the headphone out for his AKGs.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Actually he's planning to connect the turntable to his speakers. And his speakers has volume control.

My proposed solution is to get a turntable and a phono preamp, connect it to the speakers and he can also use the headphone out for his AKGs.

And I've seen people use a RCA to 3,5mm adapter to get computer speakers working with a turntable so I know that will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back