How do I remove a Trojan from my laptop?
Apr 10, 2003 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MadDog5145

500+ Head-Fier
I started my computer today and it was extremely sluggish. I have a 1.8 P4-M with 384 RAM, so this slowdown was unexpected. I opened the task manager and 5 minutes later it appeared. When to processes and saw that this one program was using 80% of my resources. Oh My
eek.gif
!

This program is scchost.exe. So I googled it and only one linked appeared showing that this was a trojan. So how would I go about removing a trojan?

Apr 10, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 14
get Ad-Aware 6 for a start. It will probably remove it. If it doesn't work download some anti-virus software. Never run software off the net unless you're sure of it. That goes triple for anything from a p2p network.

Apr 10, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 14
I'd recommend a program called 'The Cleaner'. I used it a couple of times before I got my
firewall and it works great. Get a serial for it [cough] and update and it should work very
good. It's pretty up to date with it's database usually.

Apr 10, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 14
Get some antivirus software(try AVG antivirus free edition) GET THIS

Also, are you profficient with your registry? Try looking in the Run folders. That's where this trojan likes to hide.

Apr 10, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 14
And for the future, maybe install ZoneAlarm or a similar firewall. Even if there's a trojan horse on your computer, it won't be able to do any damage as long as you deny internet access to it, thus denying hackers access to your computer. The firewall will tell you which programs are trying to access the net; if you see a program that you're unfamiliar with trying to gain internet access, it's time to be suspicious. I also second the other recommendations already made.

The best method is to excercise good discretion; I don't use any AV software and have never had a trojan or virus infect my computer, only because I'm careful with the files I download. I do use ZoneAlarm, though.

Apr 10, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 14
Kill the process, do a file search for the file and clean up suspicious files that are very close in creation date to the process you just killed with probably equally suspicious naming (you can try opening them in notepad and probably see that they are mirc scripts), clean up the registry start up. Not sure but it sounds like a GT bot, which is basically just stealth mIRC.

You should keep track of what processes are legit or not for safe measure. GT bots like to be close spellings of legit processes, which is a dead giveaway in itself.

Double check on all your network or sharing settings. Virus software is not foolproof and would need a darn good heuristic to detect a malignent mIRC install from a legit one.

Apr 10, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 14
If you would quit surfing the **** sites, you would not have to put a trojan on your "laptop" in the first place. Pervert!

Apr 11, 2003 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for the advice, fellas. I already have Norton Antivirus and it didn't detect the trojan. I also have Zonealarm but I remembered I turned it off a week ago to set up a home network but never turned it back on. D'oh!

Anyway I justed cleaned my registry and remove the file and everything works fine, so far at least. I also will be adding Ad-Aware and AVG to my collection. It never hurts to have more...

Apr 11, 2003 at 7:53 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by MadDog5145
Thanks for the advice, fellas. I already have Norton Antivirus and it didn't detect the trojan. I also have Zonealarm but I remembered I turned it off a week ago to set up a home network but never turned it back on. D'oh!

Anyway I justed cleaned my registry and remove the file and everything works fine, so far at least. I also will be adding Ad-Aware and AVG to my collection. It never hurts to have more...

I would add ad aware and spybot, but running two anti-virus programs at the same time might not be a good idea.
if your subscription to norton is up and you can't update it then AVG is a good idea (I run it) after you un-install norton.

Apr 11, 2003 at 9:52 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
If you would quit surfing the **** sites, you would not have to put a trojan on your "laptop" in the first place. Pervert!

You mean don't use IE to surf **** sites.
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 14
Do not run two anti-virus programs at the time!!!
I'm no expert but I was told by one that the least bad thing that can happen is that it slows down your PC really bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back