How do I properly mix multiple inputs?
Nov 24, 2011 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ramenchef

New Head-Fier
Anyone know of a way to mix audio from my soundcard with audio from my DAC into my amp which feeds my headphones without losing any quality? My plan is to pipe music directly to my DAC and everything else to the soundcard. I want to mix both sources of audio so that I can hear both at the same time. 

Nov 24, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 12
Is the same computer feeding both your DAC and soundcard? Then it shouldn't be possible to mix the inputs; the computer either sends audio to the soundcard or the DAC, not both at the same time.

Nov 24, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
This is 2 external devices, so it's a hardware issue. I need a way to string up my soundcard and my usb DAC to my amp.

If you're doing it externally, you'll probably wind up worrying/obsessing about potential quality loss (YMMV). I don't, so I used a vanilla audio mixer, which is nice since it gives me hardware knobs for controlling IO levels. You'll be taking in line level inputs from your two devices and outputting a single line out.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:

If you're doing it externally, you'll probably wind up worrying/obsessing about potential quality loss (YMMV). I don't, so I used a vanilla audio mixer, which is nice since it gives me hardware knobs for controlling IO levels. You'll be taking in line level inputs from your two devices and outputting a single line out.

mind linking it to me?

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 12
Something along the lines of this. You'll also need those cables listed under frequently bought together - the inputs you want for each line on a mixer are 2x 1/4", for the left and right channels. Output can be either the same 2x 1/4" L/R or 2x RCA L/R.

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 12
What hardware do you have there.

With VAC + Audiorepeater (comes with VAC) you should be able to split the audio stream to two or more audio devices.

There's also software based technique but, it's player specific (VST compatible player is needed (Winamp/Foobar/MC, MM, etc.)).
Use a VST output plug-in (couple examples; Voxengo Recorder, C. Budde's ASIO host)
http://www.voxengo.com/product/recorder/
http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christian/vst-plugins/effect-plugins/utilities/

EDIT: The way you describe you goal is bit confusing.

Quote:
mix audio from my soundcard with audio from my DAC into my amp which feeds my headphones

Do you have two separate audio sources one feeding the soundcard and the other feeding external DAC? If tht is right then a hardware mixer as suggested is the way to go.

jiiteepee

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 12
Yes, Default audio from my computer feeds my soundcard. music player feeds my DAC. I want to have the soundcard and DAC feed the same amp. I was mostly wondering if there was any noticeable decrease in audio quality if I just used a very basic splitter backwards vs a dedicated stereo mixer. What parak linked seems to work perfectly, but seems to be a bit complicated for what I want to do. I was more expecting something with just 2 knobs to control the volume of each input.

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 12
Do not use a splitter backwards. It's a bit of a nono. Mixers are definitely overkill feature wise for what you need, but there's actually not much else that's cheaper that's also reasonable quality. It's funny how you can get exactly what you would want (very few features), but only at higher prices, as much as this thing, which is a few grand. Ah, audiophilia...

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
I was more expecting something with just 2 knobs to control the volume of each input.

Something like... THIS?
That's a four channel mixer. Four mono inputs, and... shoot. That's probably a mono output, too.
But something along those lines. I'll keep looking.

EDIT: Behringer also has this.
But you'd want to look up reviews and specs and stuff (I don't have time right now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back