How do i know?
Jun 9, 2014 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

BoserPoser69

New Head-Fier
Hi hedfiers i got a quick question, how do i know if im an audiophile? Like for me i cant just use any kind of headphones for music and call it a day. The headphones need to have good sound quality for my standard. I dont know if this makes me an audiophile

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 18
Yup--and whether you are or not it, should not be important now. 

What might/probably should be important is that you enjoy your music--and whatever else you listen to with your cans, speakers and at live performances; you learn along the way (including how to listen better); and maybe find some equipment that will deliver it all to you in better ways.

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 18
  Yup--and whether you are or not it, should not be important now. 

What might/probably should be important is that you enjoy your music--and whatever else you listen to with your cans, speakers and at live performances; you learn along the way (including how to listen better); and maybe find some equipment that will deliver it all to you in better ways.

pretty much, the term is just a buzz word used to sell headphones and gather like minded Music Lovers, just enjoy what you have, as time progress you may want to find something that sounds a little better than what you have, what ever you end up with though, Enjoy it 

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 18
So basically i just need to enjoy music and always look around for things that are better at reproduction of it

no just enjoy your music, and keep your eyes open to improvements, if decide you want to

just enjoy your music, 

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #8 of 18
Just look up the definition. It should answer your question.
-> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/audiophile

A person having an ardent interest in stereo or high-fidelity sound reproduction.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

1. a person who has a great interest in high-fidelity sound reproduction
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

a person who is esp. interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

a person especially interested in high-fidelity sound equipment and recordings on tape or disks.
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

What's high-fidelity?
-> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/high+fidelity
-> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hi-fi

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 18
You are OFFICIALLY an audiophile after you have done the following:

1. Posted 5,000 times in the Head-Fi forums
2. Attended at least 5 meet-ups
3. Made a pilgrimage to the Sennheiser HD 600 factory in Ireland
4. Memorized the names of all Schiit Amplifiers & DAC's, and are able to recite them all with correct pronunciation
5. Submitted a formal request to Jude & Currawong asking for 'Audiophile' status (the submission form is buried somewhere in the forum rules)
6. You must face Darth Beyer

Then, AND ONLY THEN, an audiophile will you be…

Seriously, don't worry about it dude, it's just a title that 'regular folk' use to refer to audio enthusiasts. To the average person out there, everyone on this site is an audiophile. To the people on this site, we just like audio & gear, and spend way too much time & money on it. It's kinda like the term "hipster"; no actual hipster would use that term to describe themselves (the difference being that "hipster" is pretty much a pejorative term, audiophile not so much)

Just do what you want, like whatever you like, and don't worry about what people call it. Don't live in a world of categories and labels. Just be you.

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 18
^ Good list
biggrin.gif

7. Have music playing ALWAYS

In addition to what I said, generally audiophiles are concerned with what's mentioned in the lingo list: http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 18
Empty wallet = Audiophile. Simple.

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #13 of 18
Jun 9, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 18

Ill know when whats not important?

Quote:
  Empty wallet = Audiophile. Simple.

Here's the problem - there's one level of being an audiophile and then there's another level to it. Problem is that some people think that the levels in being an audiophile, going up, is to blow a lot of money on each and every component of the system, including $10,000 power cables (each), and progress that way, getting hooked into each and every FOTM item even if it's redundant or not even necessary (both I noticed are more prevalent with headphones than speakers), etc. Personally the higher level is when one can pick the best parts without going close to going broke, then not sweat the tiny details which in some cases some people are just hearing things already, and instead of just looking out for new gear all the time is actually doing way more sitting down and actually enjoying the music. Of course, the first group would accuse them of mediocrity or not keeping up with the times (imagine the less-trigger happy audiophiles, at some point, coming back to ask in forums when something breaks and needs replacement, because he spent most of the past few years listening than nitpicking and spending money only to sell the item at a much lower price to get something else more expensive).

Think of these two types as martial arts story characters. The trigger-happy is the up-and-coming guy who probably even disobeyed the old master's orders; the other group is more like the master who, despite all his skills (in this case, money and his hearing) lives in a hut somewhere living like Robinson Crusoe instead of using his martial skills to dominate other fighters (or, as in the case of Samurai X, choose to not use his skills to any political end, nearly not even personally using his skills to save lives).

So basically I disagree with the notion that being an audiophile means you have to come close to getting broke. You'll spend a lot, yes, but that doesn't mean getting close to being broke - at most it just means that most of your disposable income went into audio and barely no other hobbies. If being an audiophile means going broke (or close to it) you might as well get into heroin or cocaine, and whatever you perceive after snorting a line will probably be as "real" as the imrpovements you can get out of a $10,000 power cable.

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #15 of 18

So basically I disagree with the notion that being an audiophile means you have to come close to getting broke. You'll spend a lot, yes, but that doesn't mean getting close to being broke - at most it just means that most of your disposable income went into audio and barely no other hobbies. If being an audiophile means going broke (or close to it) you might as well get into heroin or cocaine, and whatever you perceive after snorting a line will probably be as "real" as the imrpovements you can get out of a $10,000 power cable.

You do get it's the running joke here right? Not every member is "broke" the humor is in the fact that you'll start budgeting your money to afford more cans, resulting in an empty wallet, empty as in, "WELP all my bills are paid, kids are fed, wife's happy and I got a new pair of cans..." 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back