How do I know if I have a good seal with my ER-4Ps??
Nov 29, 2003 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mtbiac

100+ Head-Fier
I received my ER-4Ps today but I'm pretty sure I don't have a good seal because the sound quality is nothing amazing. The bass is very weak, and although everything else sounds clear it is only very slightly clearer/better than my HD-280 pros. I have tried all the secrets for getting a good seal with the white-flanged earpeice. I do not have any foam earpieces to test yet (they come on monday).

So I'm wondering how I can tell when I have a good seal? With the earpieces in and music off, I could still easily hear my friend talking to me. And I can hear the microphonic noises from the cord and I can also hear myself breathing, etc much louder.

Any further suggestions? I'm sure the foamies will solve my problems but until then...what to do??

Nov 30, 2003 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 18
Go get some Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer (1 - 2 FL OZ bottle). Put ONE DROP on your index finger and lubricate ONE triple flanged tip. Tilt your head to the side. With your opposite arm, grab and pinch the uppermost-right corner of the ear in which you'll insert the tip. Open your mouth wide open. Gently twist to the left and right until the tip will go no further in your ear canal. MAKE SURE YOU NEVER FEEL ANY PAIN! Repeat this entire process for the other tip. You should achieve up to 27dB sound isolation; in other words, you should hear next to nothing but you may feel sound pressure waves of very very loud sounds on your body. You shouldn't be able to hear your friend talking more than three feet away. Any closer and he's too close anyway and you'll hear him no matter what. Just make sure that everything sounds "right." You'll know.

Nov 30, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 18
I get a good seal when the edge of the largest flange is just visible outside of my ear. If you have a large ear canal you might not get a good seal at all.

The bass is totally different from what you're probably used to, though - there is no heavy bass slam and rumble. On a good recording, you should be able to hear the detail of bass strings as well the actual note itself.

Nov 30, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
Go get some Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer (1 - 2 FL OZ bottle). Put ONE DROP on your index finger and lubricate ONE triple flanged tip. Tilt your head to the side. With your opposite arm, grab and pinch the uppermost-right corner of the ear in which you'll insert the tip. Open your mouth wide open. Gently twist to the left and right until the tip will go no further in your ear canal. MAKE SURE YOU NEVER FEEL ANY PAIN! Repeat this entire process for the other tip. You should achieve up to 27dB sound isolation; in other words, you should hear next to nothing but you may feel sound pressure waves of very very loud sounds on your body. You shouldn't be able to hear your friend talking more than three feet away. Any closer and he's too close anyway and you'll hear him no matter what. Just make sure that everything sounds "right." You'll know.

OK thanks for the info. I definately have a bad seal then. He was about 10-15ft at the door and I could still hear him. I'll have to get some of this hand sanitizer stuff.

Nov 30, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

one more thing - by "ONE triple flanged tip" do you mean 1 of the flanges or the entire white tip of ONE of the earphones??

thanks

Nov 30, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 18
You also can tell if you have a good seal when you try to pull them out just a bit and they feel like there is pressure holding them in. Just slightly wet them before you put them in.

How come you don't have the foamies yet? They normally come with the headphones.

Nov 30, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by iamdone
You also can tell if you have a good seal when you try to pull them out just a bit and they feel like there is pressure holding them in. Just slightly wet them before you put them in.

How come you don't have the foamies yet? They normally come with the headphones.

I bought them used and the guy forgot to include the foamies. I should have them monday
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Lubricate the entire white rubber tip one at a time.

Thanks. I just realized I have some of this purrell stuff. I'll test and report back in a few...

Nov 30, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 18
Use it every time when using the white rubber tips. It helps a lot to establish a deep and tight seal. In my humble opinion, this is not only critical but it can increase sound isolation a few decibels.

Nov 30, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #11 of 18
I have found interesting results with different insertion angles. I for one don't like the feeling of the tips too deep in my ears. But I have found that I get a much better fit and sound when I hold the black portion of the earpiece (before the white flange starts) so that the cord is pointing straight toward the floor, then insert straight into my ear. I don't get as good results if the cord is pointed up (making for different insertion angle). Possible this is coincidence, but I don't think so. I have achieved good sound without jamming them far into my ears. You know you've got a good fit by the deep, accurate (but not thumping) bass.

Nov 30, 2003 at 11:40 AM Post #12 of 18
Without the proper seal, the sound is a bit screechy and bright. It does take some getting used to for new users, so please be patient and you will be rewarded with sonic bliss.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #13 of 18
pull off the silicon tips and turn them inside out. Then insert them backwards so the large flange goes into your ear first. Much better seal this way. You will be amazed at the diference.
Cheers

Dec 4, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 18
I too has problems getting a seal with the silicone flanged tips. I had to put them so deep in my ear that most of the black part of the ER-4P had disappeared into the ear as well!

My ear canals are obviosuly large so I bought a set of the large ER-14C yellow foamies. Now I insert them so that the edge of the foamies are visible at the outside of the ear and I get an incredible seal with immense comfort.

I also find that, because the tube inside the foamies that fits over the ear phone is more open than the end of the flanged tips (bigger diameter), I get a louder sound with more bass definition at the same volume.

If you are having to go really deep with the silicone tips I recommend you try the yellow foamies. They worked very well for me.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back