how do i know if I have a correct fit with my IEMs
May 29, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 16
Take a look at this site, it has some good tips to test your seal:
http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833

May 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 16
The Sensaphonics seal test is good for checking your seal. But also, since the Turbines are not a deep insertion IEM, if you simply experience a "suction" when taking them out after a listening section, you should have a good seal.

However you might experience a suction with different size/types of tips, which in that case you have to experiment with each size/type to see which sounds the best to you.

May 29, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 16
the sensaphonics seal test only works for customs, for everything else, it does not in fact reproduce the 50hz range

May 30, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 16
It worked for me when I just tried a really old pair of cheapo IEMs lying around. Good seal and I heard it, pulled it half out, and I didn't, as expected. I'll admit I'm a little surprised they went down to 50Hz. On the other hand, it was a pretty wobbly-sounding tone...

May 31, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 16
the sensaphonics seal test only works for customs, for everything else, it does not in fact reproduce the 50hz range

Then, you didnt get a proper seal! Sorry, frequencies does not know what type of phone you are using.

May 31, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 16
Confirming: The Sensaphonics Seal Test works for any sealed IEM, both custom and universal. It does not convey meaningful information when used with non-sealed designs such as stock Apple buds.

Quote:

The above statement is inaccurate. As lazpete noted, if you are not hearing the 50Hz tone, there is a problem, either with your seal or with your earphones.

May 31, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 16
Isn't it difficult to get a perfect seal with universal IEMs? I mean for customs you have to take the time to go to an audiologist to get a mold, while with universal IEMs you are stuck with tips that may seal well but not completely. You can experiment with various tips but getting that complete seal is difficult without customs made specifically for your ears. 

I can hear both the tones, but 50Hz is a little softer. I really doubt that many people with universal IEMs only can hear both frequencies at equal volume. So the test is in a way designed for customs if you are looking for that complete seal.

Correct me if I am wrong. I am curious about this question.

May 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 16
Sealed is sealed.

Perception of 50 Hz as being "a little softer" more likely indicates a difference in the actual frequency response of either the IEMs or the individual's ears, as opposed to the dramatic loss of bass experienced with a broken seal.

Neosk: Personally, I do believe that one is more likely to attain a full and persistent seal with properly built and inserted customs, but the wide variety of tips available for universals is a huge help. Both styles are perfectly capable of achieving a full seal.

[Edited for clarity.]

May 31, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 16
Ok, Thanks!

Quote:
Sealed is sealed.

Perception of 50 Hz as being "a little softer" more likely indicates a difference in the actual frequency response of either the IEMs or the individual's ears, as opposed to the dramatic loss of bass experienced with a broken seal.

Neosk: Personally, I do believe that one is more likely to attain a full and persistent seal with properly built and inserted customs, but both styles are perfectly capable of achieving a full seal for the vast majority of people.

May 31, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Sealed is sealed.

Neosk: Personally, I do believe that one is more likely to attain a full and persistent seal with properly built and inserted customs, but the wide variety of tips available for universals is a huge help. Both styles are perfectly capable of achieving a full seal.

[Edited for clarity.]

A small leak in the seal (99% seal; not actual numbers, just something close to 100) can create a small inaccuracy and cause the bass to dampen a little.  Finding a perfect (100%) seal is impossible as there will always be something, imperfections (we do not live in a perfect world, sorry), but in retrospect, 99.99% sealed is better than 99% sealed.  Even customs can't seal perfectly, just as darn close to perfect as you can get.  So if a custom were able to achieve a 99.9999999999% seal, what difference does it make if a universal tip achieves a 99.999999999% seal (the difference is too small at this point).  This is all theory (non-proven). 

What the Sensaphonic test tries to do is it tries to allow you to distinguish a 99% seal from a, say 99.9% seal and a 99.99999% seal, etc.  You can hear the difference, the seal may be broken, but it's not broken enough were the whole sound escapes.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 16
As a practical matter, sealed is sealed.

The goal of the Sensaphonics Audio Seal Test is to help users determine whether they have attained a seal. This simple series of test tones takes advantage of the fact that bass frequencies are the first to escape via any air passage. The Seal Test is a pretty basic and straightforward diagnostic tool. It is not a measurement device. Your examples involving fractions of a percentage point are confusing for this reason. While it's true that the bigger the air gap, the more sound is lost (and at progressively higher frequencies), all such conditions = "not sealed" in the context of this test.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
As a practical matter, sealed is sealed.

The goal of the Sensaphonics Audio Seal Test is to help users determine whether they have attained a seal. This simple series of test tones takes advantage of the fact that bass frequencies are the first to escape via any air passage. The Seal Test is a pretty basic and straightforward diagnostic tool. It is not a measurement device. Your examples involving fractions of a percentage point are confusing for this reason. While it's true that the bigger the air gap, the more sound is lost (and at progressively higher frequencies), all such conditions = "not sealed" in the context of this test.

Sealed is not always sealed, in essence, there are different levels of sealed..  There is a difference between a good seal and a great seal.  In the great seal, the frequency range is increased on both the low end and the high end (on top of that, bass impact also kicks up a notch here).  In a good seal, it sounds fine, very close to the full range (but loss of bass impact, harsher highs).  A decent seal (I call this an incomplete seal) is one that allows you to hear the bass faintly, but everything sounds harsher and unnatural.  A seal is not always sealed.  All three above are examples of seals.  Obviously, you'd want the great seal, but a good seal is still a good seal that can allow you to enjoy the music (with less impact).  In the sensaphonics test, a good seal allows you to hear the 50Hz, a great seal will have a louder 50Hz since less sound is leaked.  It can be used as a measurement test.  I use it for that purpose all the time (to see which seal is the best on a pair of headphones).

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #15 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back