How do I know if I damaged my stylus?
Feb 8, 2011 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Doorbell

100+ Head-Fier
I was listening to No Way Out by Chocolate Watchband (great album by the way) and when the b-side was over I went to lift the tone arm with the tone are lifter (I don't know what the proper term is) but while I was doing so, I was reading a story my teacher assigned and because I wasn't paying attention to were my hand was I accidently moved the tonearm across the record. I'm worried I might have damaged the stylus but I have no clue on telling if I did or didn't. When I played a different record everything sounded fine but I'm still some what scared. Also last week I didn't realize I hit the rewind function and when I went to play a record the tone arm fell off the record and hit the platter (since the rewind was on). I'm a clutz, I know.

I'd appreciate some help/advice.

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 3
HELP:
So you say it sounds fine but you are still worried that you might have damaged it?

Well unless your record player is good at faking it or just likes to act tough i would say if it sounds fine then it should be good.

take a look at the needle Carefully to see if it is bent to the side in any way, if it is strait then you're good.

ADVICE:
Stop worrying and enjoy it, and try not to be such a "clutz" around the turntable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back