How do I know I need a headphone amp?
Nov 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

OneTallGuy

Head-Fier
How do I know I need a headphone amp?

I have recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, Ver. 2 from Moon Audio (fast shipping, thank you). I am hooked up to the headphone jack on a Yamaha RX-A3000. I am hearing details, clarity, sound stage, and sharpness I have never heard before. Replaced my old Sennheiser HD 280 pro. Quite an upgrade, huh? This was purchased through reviews only, none available in my neck of the woods.

Now, without being able to compare any headphone amps, especially the Burson HA-160, which would be my choice:
1) How do I know I can even hear any differences?
2) How do I know the differences would improve what I hear now?
3) How do I know the differences would be worth $700?

If anyone knows a way that I could purchase the Burson HA-160 with a return policy that does not penalize 15% return fee, let me know? I even would not mind listening to a used one with return privileges.

In my state, Oklahoma, there are no audiophile stereo stores that I could review any decent headphone amps.

By the way, I am 60 yrs old with average to better than average hearing. (Not golden ears by any stretch of my imagination). I use the headphones to listen to, in order of importance: TV, Blu-Ray Movies, and CD’s.

I would love to hear any opinions, suggestions, or advise.

Thank you,
OneTallGuy

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 9
That depends. Are you satisfied with what you have now?

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 9
reply to Austin Morrow

I love what I have now, but I have no reference points.  I loved my Pontiac, until I drove the Cadillac.  My next car was the Cadillac, when the Pontiac was worn out.  I loved the Cadillac, until I drove the Lexus.  My next car was the Lexus, when the Cadillac was worn out.

Without reference points, I do not know what I am missing or if I can even hear the difference.

I hoped I could hear the difference between the Audeze LCD-2 and the Sennhieser HD 280 pro.  I was very apprehensive opening the Audeze package, due to fear of making a $1000 mistake.  Fortunately, the purchase was well worth it, to my ears.  I actually get face smiling pleasure listening to everything through the LCD-2's.  This is a good standard to me.

My current fear is that the difference between the Yamaha’s headphone amp, and Burson 160 will not be as large or large enough to warrant the purchase.  This, of course, is a subjective decision.

OneTallGuy

Nov 24, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 9
+1 on the Schiit recommendation, very good value.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
I would recommend trying Schiit Asgard or Lyr. They have a 15 day return policy :). If you dont like the amp, just send it back.

Quote:
+1 on the Schiit recommendation, very good value.

Thank you Austin Morrow and Raser.  

I had considered the Lyr but the more I looked into this amp, I got turned off by the hum or noise that was heard by some when no audio signal was running through it.  I guess what I want is what some say is running “Dark”, if I understand that to be totally quiet at all volumes when no signal is being amped.

OneTallGuy

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 9
My personal experience that even the cheapest $150 second-hand headphone amp will completely outclass the regular headphone output of the average Hi-Fi equipment. Of course I have no clue how Yamaha RX-A3000 sounds. Maybe it's better than average. But I mean you don't need to spend a lot to feel the difference.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 9
If you're getting enough volume, the next thing to be concerned about is output impedance. Not a big deal with the LCD-2, but there's the risk of poor electrical damping with a high output impedance. Receivers tend to have higher output impedance than dedicated headphone amps (not always, but I believe many of them just run the headphone jack from the speaker amp, with resistors in place to reduce volume).

Play some tracks heavy on sub-bass. Roll off and loose bass will likely be the first indicators. You can always get something cheap like a Fiio E10 or E11, they'll have enough volume and a low output impedance (probably).

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
If you're getting enough volume, the next thing to be concerned about is output impedance. Not a big deal with the LCD-2, but there's the risk of poor electrical damping with a high output impedance. Receivers tend to have higher output impedance than dedicated headphone amps (not always, but I believe many of them just run the headphone jack from the speaker amp, with resistors in place to reduce volume).

Play some tracks heavy on sub-bass. Roll off and loose bass will likely be the first indicators. You can always get something cheap like a Fiio E10 or E11, they'll have enough volume and a low output impedance (probably).

Ok, I have played some tracks with deep bass.  The bass sounds tight and sharp.  I am not sure what roll off is, but I do not think I hear any.   There is plenty of volume.        

The output level/output impedance is listed as:
Headphone Out     150mV/100Ω

What does this mean and is it relevant?

OneTallGuy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back