How Do I Integrate A Headphone Amp Into My 2-Channel System?
Oct 26, 2009 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tlarwa

Head-Fier
I'm just getting into headphone use, mainly because I do a lot of my listening late at night after the family has gone to sleep. I am currently using the headphone jack in my Denon AVR-4308 receiver, but I'd really like to buy a tubed headphone amp (LD 2++ or something similar). I listen exclusively to my Thorens analog rig, running through a Cambridge 640P phono preamp. I want to be able to listen to my headphones through the dedicated headphone amp (once I decide which to buy), but still be able to run the turntable through my 2-channel speaker system as well when I want to listen out loud. How do I do this? Can I do this? Most of the headphone amps I see only have one set of inputs/outputs.

Help?

Tom

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi Tom,

The easiest way to integrate a headphone amp into your system is run a set of cables from the Denon's tape output into the headphone amp's input. In this arrangement, you'll be able to access all the source components connected to the Denon. You'll turn the volume control down on the Denon and use headphone amp's built-in volume control.

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply! That's easy enough ... would I still select the phono source (or any other source, for that matter) the same way as usual on the Denon? I assume so, since this really is just sending a signal to the tube amp, correct?

Tom

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 4
Yes, you would use the Denon's input selector as usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back