How do I incorporate a headphone amp into my current system?
Jan 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TinFoildHat

New Head-Fier
I am thinking about buying the Crack OTL headphone amp, but the problem is how do I incorporate this amp into my current system. I have a PC with Asus Xonar Xssence stx soundcard, I use it for both work, games, listening to music and watching movies.

I use the built in headphone amp in my soundcard with my Sennheiser HD650 when I sit and work on my computer. But when I want to watch a movie (or for that matter listening to music), I switch to the RCA-output on my soundcard and feed that signal into my 2 channel integrated amplifier. To transfer the image to the TV, I use a hdmi cable.

So what would be the best solution to solve my problem? 

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 6
  RCA output of the soundcard into the Crack. Think of the Crack as an integrated amplifier for headphones instead of speakers. 

That would mean that I would have to switch between RCA cables several times a week, sometimes several times a day. Soundcard-to-headphone-amp or soundcard-to-2-channel-amplifier over and over again.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 6
The only way around that is to get an RCA switchbox or an RCA splitter cable. Either one might or not might affect sound quality. I'm not sure. If I were in your position, I'd just switch the RCA cables each time.

If you can figure out the correct volume setting to get 2V out of the headphone jack, you could use that as a second line out, but it might not be optimal.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 6
The only way around that is to get an RCA switchbox or an RCA splitter cable. Either one might or not might affect sound quality. I'm not sure. If I were in your position, I'd just switch the RCA cables each time.

If you can figure out the correct volume setting to get 2V out of the headphone jack, you could use that as a second line out, but it might not be optimal.

I'm going to try the RCA splitter cable option

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 6
You might be able to find a headphone amp with a separate lineout jack that can be switched in/out with the headphone jack. Then you would come out of the soundcard and into the headphone amp. The lineout on the headphone amp would go into the speaker amp. You would then use the switch on the headphone amp to go between the headphones and the speakers.

Now - what headphone amps can do this? I don't know - I'm just the idea guy... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back