How do I have over 9,000 avatar views?!
Feb 21, 2017 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
My avatar view count...

tumblr_mzbdsdU3He1tp8kdpo1_500.gif

What I'd like to know is...how?
eek.gif

I mean, sure, I have over 200 avatars and counting...but do so many people really follow me and go so far as to click the avatar on my profile and view the original images on a frequent basis? (The view count does not increase when I do it myself.)

If anyone out there follows my avatars and can provide insight, tell your story! haha

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 19
I usually click on your avatar to play a round of "name that anime!" But I always lose because I haven't seen enough of them. If I had to wager a guess it's because you change it so often. Every time I see you have a new avatar I try to figure out if I've seen it before.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 19
I usually click on your avatar to play a round of "name that anime!" But I always lose because I haven't seen enough of them. If I had to wager a guess it's because you change it so often. Every time I see you have a new avatar I try to figure out if I've seen it before.

What a fun game! hehe

And yeah, I do change it fairly often. I was just taken aback by all the views.

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 19
Yes, that is an uncalled for amount of public clicks going into full size by.........who?

Strange?

Could be some link to them on some bigger web location that gets a lot of traffic? A process to find out would be generate an original avatar then follow it on google reverse image search to see if there are any random links that people are attaching it to?

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 19
Yes, that is an uncalled for amount of public clicks going into full size by.........who?

Strange?

Could be some link to them on some bigger web location that gets a lot of traffic? A process to find out would be generate an original avatar then follow it on google reverse image search to see if there are any random links that people are attaching it to?

Funny thing is, when I search for random things on Google Images, sometimes my avatars come up.

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 19

Funny thing is, when I search for random things on Google Images, sometimes my avatars come up.

If the pictures were high resolution screen captures that were of some use it would make sense. The only thing I guess is Google is pulling them up on a more like style of image search? Some one who knows Google could tell you.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 19
​I haeve 69 (no, not intentional) avatar photos with a total view count of 7500, so my photo/view ratio is a little higher than the one reported. While the most viewed photos tend to be of the ones I stick with the most, the general pattern seems to be that the cuter the picture of the girl I use, the more views I get. Content matters! Maybe I should open up a fake Instagram account and reap in some advertising money.

​To add to this, a lot of the pictures that I end up not using that are still in my avatar album have views as well (15-30), so I imagine that there are people who have sifted through the album in its entirety. Robots/crawlers or not, I wouldn't be able to say. This forum gets millions of views so I don't find any of this to be strange.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 19
This is my most viewed avatar (288 views):

​This is another one of my most viewed avatars (224 views):

​My current cat avatar has 27 views. I mean, I think that speaks for itself.

​And @tomscy2000 has 11600 (by the time I finished this, it went to 11610 because of me) views in his avatar album (with 53 pictures). That's 218 views per avatar. And his most viewed ones (>200) are the ones with pretty girls. I'd like to think that we had a bit of an "avatar arms race" at one point. Of course, 218 > 115 (plus, he was actually making substantial contributions to the site at that time, so he deserves it more).

Even the prolific @moedawg140 only has 164 views of his (primary) avatar. So forum activity looks to have little to do with view count; rather, it looks to be mostly about the content of the avatars. Anothe prolific poster, @warrenpchi, has >9000 views over 65 photos (138 views per post), and he put loads of effort into his avatars (I have several avatar made by him, and they seem to do very well).

​Another thing I've noticed is that avatar views for all members have dropped off consistently since 2014/late-2015. Might be because of a change in browsing behaviour, but might be indicative of a decline in popularity of the site (the forums seem a lot less lively than back in the day). I realize that this is around the period of TMAC's death, but I've noticed other members outside of TMAC experiencing a similar decline with their avatar view count.

​Member @wink's well-known avatar has their views split between two other re-uploads, but altogether it has 365 views, which is rather admirable.

Beyond the "pretty girls" and the "anime characters", ​I think there are distinctive qualities to eye-catching, popular avatars. And Huddler dedicates a good amount of space per post for a member's avatar, at least relative to other forums. Then again, I've seen forums with 500x500px avatars. But look at all the wasted horizontal space on a typical H-F post, just to accomodate for an avatar's height. Really encourages you to make good avatars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back