How do I get true high-res music on PC?
Jul 3, 2018 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cigarello

Head-Fier
Hey guys, this might sound stupid but how do I play true high res music on PC? Currently, I'm using Tidal Hi-Fi and its arguable if its even true FLAC but that is the highest quality I can get. Theres other formats like DSD or like 24bit/192khz, etc?

I have an Aune X1S amp/dac so want to make the most of it but its all so confusing! Apologies in advanced if this was a stupid question but I really don't know. Thank you!

Jul 3, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #2 of 5
Are you asking where I store my files and what program I use to play it?

I have a Synology NAS for music and movies and TV shows. I use jriver music player. The USB cable goes from my PC to a hugo 2.

Your question seems so simple yet I'm confused because I think you must be asking for something else.

Jul 3, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey guys, this might sound stupid but how do I play true high res music on PC? Currently, I'm using Tidal Hi-Fi and its arguable if its even true FLAC but that is the highest quality I can get. Theres other formats like DSD or like 24bit/192khz, etc?

I have an Aune X1S amp/dac so want to make the most of it but its all so confusing! Apologies in advanced if this was a stupid question but I really don't know. Thank you!

Pay for the rights to use a digital copy of the albums through sites like HDTracks.com.

Tidal is lossless, and AFAIK it's MQA. If you doubt if it is because you can't hear a difference, tough luck, chances are DSD isn't going to help with that. Mastering quality is more important than encoding and decoding resolution, and on the hardware end, the headphone/speaker and amplifier have a bigger effect than any otherwise decent DACs playing any sort of lossless files.

Jul 3, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 5
There's a lot of variables in PC audio-- depending on your output, you can run into interference problems, your hardware could be limiting your listening or your ears themselves, your source file could be an issue depending on where it was ripped from or like Protege mentioned, the recording itself could be the largest fault. I have a lot of songs I love from the 70s-80s and some great performers just had terrible mastering; Stevie Ray Vaughan comes to mind, where on some tracks you can hear the amp humming, it's just not a pristine mastering and some people dig it, some people find nuances like that annoying.

Now, considering all this and like I first mentioned about variables and source files, I have run into a few cases of files sourced from different places (some legit and some... Less legit) as happens when you're looking to buy or find a rare album or recording. I've found the same "original recording" can change drastically.

So there's a lot to consider, but I hope this helped in some way.

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 5

deleted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back