How Do I Get The Most Accurate Sound From My HP Output?
Jul 20, 2015 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Koukol

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm trying to get the most accurate sound out of my laptops HP output for recording.
I know this is not an ideal way of mixing but I can't afford buying any gear.

Right now my PC runs BEATS AUDIO which I know is far  from ideal.

I came across this article online and was wondering what you guys think.

How To Turn Off Beats

1) Press [Windows] + [X] on your keyboard and go to Device Manager
2) Go to Sound, video and game controllers
3) Click on IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
4) Click on the Driver tab
5) Click on Update Driver
6) Select Browse my computer for driver software
7) Select Let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer
8) Select High Definition Audio Device
9) Read the warning and click Yes if you understand the risk
10) Restart computer

When your computer restarts:
1) Click on the Volume Control (little speaker) on the bottom right of the task bar.
2) Click on Speakers
3) Click on Enhancements tab
4) If you don't know much about audio, and to help prevent speaker, headphone, ear damage, click on the Loudness Equalization and click Settings, then move the slider to 3/5 or 4/5 towards Long, then click on OK and Apply

It was explained that BEATS is holding back the full potential of the IDC Codec in my PC.

Would this be the way to go or should I do something like download the ASIO4all Codec as well?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 6
Loudness equalization hinders "accurate" sound the same way beats audio does. The beats audio probably has much better equalization than Windows does. You wouldn't have to bother with the "When computer starts" part if you want accurate sound. Bypassing beats audio is as simple as using a music player that has WASAPI exlusive mode and has it as the output so you don't have to mess with drivers. No need to get ASIO4All, WASAPI exclusive is just as good and probably has less problems.

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 6
  Loudness equalization hinders "accurate" sound the same way beats audio does. The beats audio probably has much better equalization than Windows does. You wouldn't have to bother with the "When computer starts" part if you want accurate sound. Bypassing beats audio is as simple as using a music player that has WASAPI exlusive mode and has it as the output so you don't have to mess with drivers. No need to get ASIO4All, WASAPI exclusive is just as good and probably has less problems.

Thanks for the reply, Adisib.

I'll have to check to see if Audacity, JPRiver or Reaper will use WASAPI exclusively.

Cheers!

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 6
OK...
I switched to WASAPI in Audacity and while it sounds much clearer...it's not accurate.
I know because I loaded a High Res Black Sabbath song I know is great and balanced sounding... yet the bass is almost gone and the treble is too bright.
Do I now find or buy an EQ?

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 6
So now I have this one question...Is WASAPI still the better choice over Direct Sound for the most accurate mixing?

Edit~Found my answer...WASAPI!
It should also be set for exclusive use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back