How do I get the Chaintech AV-710 to do digital out for surround?
Jul 25, 2005 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MoodyDragon

Head-Fier
I am simply unable to get the 5.1 setup to output any center or rear channel sounds to the receiver. I am using the digital out, ac3/pcm autoselect option and am in 5.1 mode in the Audio Dec. I am using the 5.12 version of the Via drivers.

WHen I try to test the speakers from the speaker configuration part of the panel, the chaintech seems to be outputting sound (per the level meter) but no sound is heard. The receiver is properly set up as I have tested in otherwise and it does work ok.

Any help would be appreciated!

Amit

Jul 26, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 8
You'll only get surround with AC3 output. In PCM, you'll never get more than 2 channels over the digital out.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks. Well, even that is not working.. Tried it
frown.gif
Is my Chaintech broke?

Jul 26, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 8
You mean, even plain ol' AC3 passthrough won't work? U sure your DVD player software is set up correctly?

Jul 27, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
The AV-710 can output pre-encoded AC3 (like off DVDs) but it can't encode AC3 itself (so most games won't be able to output in surround).

Mr Radar, the problem is that I can not get the DVD encoded digital surround tracks to play as well.

Also, when I check the 'speaker configuration' option on the Audio Deck from Via, WHEN I TEST THE CENTER OR SUBWOOFER OR REAR CHANNELS, THE INDICATOR SHOWS A SOUND IS PLAYING BUT THE RECEIVER/SPEAKERS THEMSELVES DOES NOT OUTPUT ANY SOUND.

What am I doing wrong?
confused.gif

Amit

Jul 27, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 8
Is your DVD player program configured to for digital passthrough? Most players are set to decode to PCM by default. Also, this problem:
Quote:

WHEN I TEST THE CENTER OR SUBWOOFER OR REAR CHANNELS, THE INDICATOR SHOWS A SOUND IS PLAYING BUT THE RECEIVER/SPEAKERS THEMSELVES DOES NOT OUTPUT ANY SOUND.

Is caused by the limitation I described. The AV-710 can only output stereo through the digital output, unless it is pre-encoded AC3 or DTS (from DVDs primarily, and some games).

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 8
Also make sure you select the regular 2-channel mode but not the Hi-Sample 2-channel mode for the AV-710. Another thing is check is on your receiver, make sure the digital input is set to auto select as well for AC3/PCM signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back